8K TV

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Arizona Kid said:

They just keep showing the same thing over and over again in a loop and hope we don't notice it.

28 minutes ago, jimeve said:

I know, gets to me too all repeats.

That's true with most of the TV content providers. 

I just have to treat myself to renting a movie online, usually once a month.  I mostly use the Fandango app on Roku, and recently Red Box has also created a Roku app for renting movies, which saves me the time of traveling back and forth to one of their rental machines.

Ozzyboy
Posted
Posted

Paying for cable tv is a joke, the programs are of a low (production) B grade quality that repeats endlessly

so i watch streaming content as i travel around, for my advice, i'm in Europe now taking care of my rental

properties so i have 9 tv's throughout the properties and i've bought many different types and makes, now

after many years of suffering with the different makes i now will only buy LG tv's because they are simple

and they work (one problem i had years ago was next door had the same tv so their remote would change

my channels, increase volume turn tv on and off etc) my house has 6 LG tv's, in lounges and bedrooms but

i don't have that problem now.

One problem i did encounter that i can't change is that i recently bought a 65'' tv that was on sale, it was a

smart tv, after unboxing it and setting it up i realised the mistake i had made, smart tv's are a dud, as are curved

screen tv's,  the tv tries to over ride what ever settings you enter, and they can't be changed so if you are buying

a new tv and it's on sale at a fantastic price it's probably because no one wants it and it's a dud, buyer beware.

earthdome
Posted
Posted (edited)

One word of caution regarding LED TV's. Prior to LED TV's you had LCD TV's which faded out in bright light. Then came along LED TV's. What changed? They put bright LED lights behind the LCD to increase the brightness so you can see the TV in bright sunshine. The problem is that those LED lights behind the LCD screen can burn out and cause the TV to fail. I had that happen on a 4 year old 50" Samsung TV. When enough of the LED's failed it cause a higher current draw which prevented the Samsung from powering up. After a great deal of research and opening up the unit for some testing I was able to fix the TV by replacing the 4 strips of LED lights. The LED's can either be behind the LCD screen, this is called backlight. Or the LED's can be on the edge's. The backlight is better. I found  out that my LED's burned out because the default setting for the backlight brightness on my tv was set at the MAX. By doing a bit of research and trouble shooting I was able to fix my TV for $48 rather than spring for the cost of a new TV.

So if you have LED backlights on your TV go into the settings and check what the backlight setting is and set it to 30-50% of max to lengthen the lifetime of those LED lights.

Edited by earthdome
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Gary D
Posted
Posted
On 6/9/2019 at 7:06 AM, Mark Berkowitz said:

Maybe it will be Holographic TV?

12k is the way they are going. Already available in Japan. the 2020 Olympics will be recorded in it but only available locally.

• Thanks 1

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Gary D said:

12k is the way they are going. Already available in Japan. the 2020 Olympics will be recorded in it but only available locally.

It's really too bad that the manufacturers are not letting all of the consumers know about this (especially over here in the USA).

TimL
Posted
Posted

LG Oleds are pretty sweet. Expensive but, awesome picture. I can’t even begin to imagine what an 8K or 12K would cost here. Exhorbitant I’m Sure. 

hk blues
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

It's really too bad that the manufacturers are not letting all of the consumers know about this (especially over here in the USA).

The problem is, it's an evolving technology and there is no final destination so we'd end up never buying a new set waiting for the next best thing.

• Like 1

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

The problem is, it's an evolving technology and there is no final destination so we'd end up never buying a new set waiting for the next best thing.

Good point!  For what it's worth, I watched 12K content on my 4K and I'm looking forward to the clearer resolution.

• I'm Confused 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted

The trouble is it's just willey waving, manufacturers have to keep pushing ahead to make never ending more profit or fail. Experts suggest that retina resolution can not  tell the difference between HD and 4k. The bigger pixal counts only become effective with increasing screen sizes so you could have a 4k screen 4x bigger than an HD to maintain resolution.

• Like 2

Hobbit112
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Gary D said:

The trouble is it's just willey waving, manufacturers have to keep pushing ahead to make never ending more profit or fail. Experts suggest that retina resolution can not  tell the difference between HD and 4k. The bigger pixal counts only become effective with increasing screen sizes so you could have a 4k screen 4x bigger than an HD to maintain resolution.

:thumbsup:

Which means it only becomes apparent the further you sit from the screen. 

So unless you are sitting 15 - 20 ft away from the screen you won't see the difference between a 4k and an 8k.  If you have a 100"+ screen in a home theater with seating and a sound system to match it might be worthwhile.

• Like 1