Umbrellas and the Weather

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted

My wife had always used an umbrella in the Phils whenever we walked around town in the daytime to protect her from the sun.  Now that we’re getting 40 plus degree Celsius days Texas (with lots of sunshine), she refuses to use the umbrella that I bought for her, because she’s shy about everyone staring at her.

It always amazed me when family in the Phils would ask me if it snowed in Hawaii.  Sorry to say this, but I usually busted out laughing before I was able to explain that Hawaii is a string of tropical islands.  Similarly, many people in the Phils informed me that the USA is always colder than the Phils.  Believe me or not (and please excuse my American expression), but it’s hotter than a sh*tbox on the 4th of July right now… but unlike the Phils, we have central aircons everywhere with no brownouts… so, wala na problema.

• Haha 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I hope this is not going off your topic Mark. When my wife and I walk around Cebu we don't (can't) share an umbrella. I'm 6'2"  my wife is 4'9'! It's physically difficult and looks hilarious. :whistling: Not that we care anymore.:no:

• Like 2

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted

We went to the NBI and BI here in Davao (they're neighbors) the other day and had to walk back and forth a couple of times across the tiny city sidewalk populated by vendors and standers-by (it's a jeepney stop). Half of the women were carrying umbrellas. If I was smart, I'd invest in an eye clinic and open it up across the street. "Emergency Eye Poke Center". :smile:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I always have an umbrella with me in the PIs. Usually for sun more than rain.  Not sure if I would use it in the US for sun... it is just not normally done ha ha.  :tiphat: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted

Although my wife always insisted that I walk under an umbrella with her in the Phils, I found it to be too akward to do with all of the crowded streets, especially since I didn't mind getting sun on my face or body.

However, she was so right about the time that I didn't use an umbrella when walking across the street in the rain to buy her feminine napkins at the Sari Sari.  Unlike the rain that I was used to getting wet in, I learned very quickly about how dangerous the rain can be in the Philippines.

I ended up being so sick that I thought that I was going to die.  Between all the fluids building up in my lungs, plus gettings the sweats and s high fever, I was almost a goner... however, my wife nursed me back to health with OTC meds, rub-downs with alcohol, etc.

I would strongly suggest that all expats take the rain in the Philippines very seriously.

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Viking
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

Although my wife always insisted that I walk under an umbrella with her in the Phils, I found it to be too akward to do with all of the crowded streets, especially since I didn't mind getting sun on my face or body.

However, she was so right about the time that I didn't use an umbrella when walking across the street in the rain to buy her feminine napkins at the Sari Sari.  Unlike the rain that I was used to getting wet in, I learned very quickly about how dangerous the rain can be in the Philippines.

I ended up being so sick that I thought that I was going to die.  Between all the fluids building up in my lungs, plus gettings the sweats and s high fever, I was almost a goner... however, my wife nursed me back to health with OTC meds, rub-downs with alcohol, etc.

I would strongly suggest that all expats take the rain in the Philippines very seriously.

In what way was the rain making you sick? I´m not questioning that you got sick, but are you really sure it was caused by the rain? I often got wet in the rain and my wife loves to take a "shower" in it, and neither of us have experienced any problems.

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Just a thought to add here look at the number one thing on the list :whistling:

How can we stay healthy during rainy season?

Here are some clever ways to stay dry, safe and healthy now that the rainy season is upon us:

Always carry an umbrella. ...

Keep your nutrition up. ...

Wash your hands thoroughly. ...

Drink plenty of water. ...

Avoid rush hour commutes. ...

Have some backup clothes ready. ...

Keep up with weather updates. :tiphat:

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

Mark why must you always seem to put the Philippines down, It is well researched and Documented that rain Pollution is all over the World even in the US, Wherever there is urban and natural Pollution there will be Polluted rain, come on mate change the Record on the Nation Knocking EH? :cheersty:

• Like 1

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:
On 6/10/2019 at 3:00 PM, Mark Berkowitz said:

Mark why must you always seem to put the Philippines down, It is well researched and Documented that rain Pollution is all over the World even in the US, Wherever there is urban and natural Pollution there will be Polluted rain, come on mate change the Record on the Nation Knocking EH? :cheersty:

Jack, I really didn't realize that my statement was a put down on the Philippines.  I was only trying to be helpful since many of us (expats) get pneumonia in the Philippines more easily than we did back in our home countries, and getting too drenched got me in that way. 

So, I will edit my post to "Wherever there is urban and natural Pollution there will be Polluted rain" instead of the "Philippines."  Going forward, I'll avoid mentioning the Philippines in as many ways as possible if it will be perceived as nation shaming of the Philippines. :cheersty:

Edited by Mark Berkowitz
spelling