Umbrellas and the Weather

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

I would strongly suggest that all expats take the rain in the Philippines very seriously.

I was unable to edit my post but this was not meant in any way at all to be a put down (or nation shaming) of the Philippines. 

I was only trying to be helpful to expats, especially those of us who are seniors with a higher probability of getting sick (especially in the rain by not using an umbrella)... But as Jack pointed out, problems (in this case, health problems) from the rain can occur "Wherever there is urban and natural Pollution there will be Polluted rain."

@Jack Peterson

@Old55

Edited by Mark Berkowitz

Heeb
Posted
Posted

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/does-it-snow-in-hawaii.html

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, Heeb said:

True and I've seen snow at Haleakala National Park on Maui, but this is primarily a tourist destination (and a fine one indeed). 

It is so high up in elevation (10,023 ft) that I was able to clearly see Oahu (without a telescope or binoculars) from the top of the mountain, a distance of 116 miles.

image.png

Edited by Mark Berkowitz
added some
  • Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

I was unable to edit my post but this was not meant in any way at all to be a put down (or nation shaming) of the Philippines. 

I think everyone should lighten up and not read too much into others posts. :tiphat:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I think everyone should lighten up 

I've been trying to lighten up for ages... but my waistline isn't cooperating :th_thbarbaque:

• Love it 1
  • Haha 4

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, GeoffH said:

I've been trying to lighten up for ages... but my waistline isn't cooperating :th_thbarbaque:

I know the feeling :cheersty:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

Umbrellas ! My wife has 21 of them and her sister has 12 ! They are like handbags here a fashion icon.

• Haha 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted

wifes has non, but buys at least 6 or 7 every year. She always losing them. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

robert k
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

Jack, I really didn't realize that my statement was a put down on the Philippines.  I was only trying to be helpful since many of us (expats) get pneumonia in the Philippines more easily than we did back in our home countries, and getting too drenched got me in that way. 

So, I will edit my post to "Wherever there is urban and natural Pollution there will be Polluted rain" instead of the "Philippines."  Going forward, I'll avoid mentioning the Philippines in as many ways as possible if it will be perceived as nation shaming of the Philippines. :cheersty:

I would attribute respiratory illness among elderly foreigners in the Philippines to more people not covering their mouths when they cough. I don't think they have ever been told to cover up. I was working in a cardiac unit in a hospital (equipment installation)l years ago with a young man who exhibited all the symptoms of the Flu. I told him to cover up because he wasn't covering when he coughed. He said why? Did I cough directly in your face. I told him no, because if one of these patients catches what he has after anesthesia, it could well be a death sentence. In the US people not covering is rare. I haven't had a single respiratory problem in the Philippines since I stopped using public transportation. Have you ever been on a jeepney where someone wasn't coughing?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, robert k said:

Have you ever been on a jeepney where someone wasn't coughing?

Always got coughed on (and sneezed on).  Also handling money from other passengers up to the driver (and change back to the passengers) is risky due to the possible exposure to bacteria (and other germs) since there is a very low use of handwashing, especially with soap.  Have you ever seen hand-washing soap that was available to use in an SM Men's Room?