Umbrellas and the Weather

robert k
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

Always got coughed on (and sneezed on).  Also handling money from other passengers up to the driver (and change back to the passengers) is risky due to the possible exposure to bacteria (and other germs) since there is a very low use of handwashing, especially with soap.  Have you ever seen hand-washing soap that was available to use in an SM Men's Room?

I actually have in SM Naga, but I consider that unusual.

Viking
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

Always got coughed on (and sneezed on).  Also handling money from other passengers up to the driver (and change back to the passengers) is risky due to the possible exposure to bacteria (and other germs) since there is a very low use of handwashing, especially with soap.  Have you ever seen hand-washing soap that was available to use in an SM Men's Room?

That is probably the biggest reason why you got sick, and not because you got wet in the rain ;) I find it quite "annoying" that people dont cover their mouths when they cough or sneeze. Last trip to PH I got un involuntary "shower" in the bus, when the guy behind me sneezed. I gave him an angry look but I honestly dont Think he understood what was wrong!!!

There is no soap in SM men´s room because if it were, someone would "borrow" it right away, lol.

• Like 3

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, robert k said:

I would attribute respiratory illness among elderly foreigners in the Philippines to more people not covering their mouths when they cough. I don't think they have ever been told to cover up. I was working in a cardiac unit in a hospital (equipment installation)l years ago with a young man who exhibited all the symptoms of the Flu. I told him to cover up because he wasn't covering when he coughed. He said why? Did I cough directly in your face. I told him no, because if one of these patients catches what he has after anesthesia, it could well be a death sentence. In the US people not covering is rare. I haven't had a single respiratory problem in the Philippines since I stopped using public transportation. Have you ever been on a jeepney where someone wasn't coughing?

I also got healthier after I bought a car and avoided ever using a jeepney again.

1 hour ago, Viking said:

That is probably the biggest reason why you got sick, and not because you got wet in the rain ;) I find it quite "annoying" that people dont cover their mouths when they cough or sneeze. Last trip to PH I got un involuntary "shower" in the bus, when the guy behind me sneezed. I gave him an angry look but I honestly dont Think he understood what was wrong!!!

There is no soap in SM men´s room because if it were, someone would "borrow" it right away, lol.

Now, I realize why so many people wear a face mask when they're riding in the jeepneys.

Since there's no soap in the men's room at SM Batangas, we always brought a bottle of isopropol alcohol with us, (as well as baby wipes).

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

I also got healthier after I bought a car and avoided ever using a jeepney again.

Now, I realize why so many people wear a face mask when they're riding in the jeepneys.

Since there's no soap in the men's room at SM Batangas, we always brought a bottle of isopropol alcohol with us, (as well as baby wipes).

I like a good antimicrobial soap, like my brand of Dial. The medical community complains about how it may make strains of microbes more resistant so medicines don't work as well, but they aren't the ones getting sick 4-5 times a year when it might be avoided.

I like the little clear mouth shield I see some food workers using, it makes me feel a little better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, robert k said:

The medical community complains about how it may make strains of microbes more resistant so medicines don't work as well, but they aren't the ones getting sick 4-5 times a year when it might be avoided.

Sounds as if they're afraid of losing customers if more (and more) people stay healthier by taking preventive measures :tiphat:

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

Also handling money from other passengers up to the driver (and change back to the passengers) is risky due to the possible exposure to bacteria (and other germs) since there is a very low use of handwashing, especially with soap

No different than the handrails on escalators or even elevator buttons. 

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

No different than the handrails on escalators or even elevator buttons. 

Up to point yes, but at lest they do clean those from time to time - albeit with the same rag they have used for days no doubt!

• Like 2

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:
23 hours ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

Also handling money from other passengers up to the driver (and change back to the passengers) is risky due to the possible exposure to bacteria (and other germs) since there is a very low use of handwashing, especially with soap

7 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

No different than the handrails on escalators or even elevator buttons

it would also be wise to wear gloves (in addition to a face mask) when riding in the jeepneys.  :smile:

gloves.JPG

Edited by Mark Berkowitz
grammar

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

it would also be wise to wear gloves (in addition to a face mask) when riding in the jeepneys.  :smile:

If you dont climatized  to some germs you will end up sick all your life. Think when you were a kid of the fingers in your mouth and who knows where they have been. Sometimes I think this germ thing is overrated.

• Thanks 1

OzeMike
Posted
Posted (edited)

I agree this a major problem here.. not covering the mouth when they cough...many seem to unaware how viruses and bacteria can be spread in the droplets expelled from their lungs or throat and infect others. 

On my recent flights to and from Australia I had an asian man sitting opposite me (I always get an aile seat with my weak bladder :unsure:) who was coughing a lot ,a deep cough too, both did not cover their mouths. I now wear a face mask on air flights to avoid getting bugs recycled through the plane's air conditioning.

The coughing in public places is I believe one of the reasons pneumonia is wide spread here. 

While I was in Oz I got my flu shot and pneumonia vaccine shot updated (free if over 70) which helps living here. 

Mike

Edited by OzeMike
Typo, correction
  • Like 2