Jump to content
Mark Berkowitz

Umbrellas and the Weather

Recommended Posts

Bit more information on the vaccine to prevent pneumonia:

CDC recommends 2 pneumococcal vaccines for all adults 65 years or older. You should receive a dose of PCV13 first, followed by a dose of PPSV23, at least 1 year later. If you already received any doses of PPSV23, get the dose of PCV13 at least 1 year after the most recent PPSV23 dose.
CDC › features › adult-pneumococcal › index.html
Presume it is available here in Dumaguete?
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/13/2019 at 8:54 AM, Mark Berkowitz said:

it would also be wise to wear gloves (in addition to a face mask) when riding in the jeepneys.  :smile:

gloves.JPG

Nah, I'd go with this:

bio.JPG

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/13/2019 at 10:24 PM, OzeMike said:

Bit more information on the vaccine to prevent pneumonia:

CDC recommends 2 pneumococcal vaccines for all adults 65 years or older. You should receive a dose of PCV13 first, followed by a dose of PPSV23, at least 1 year later. If you already received any doses of PPSV23, get the dose of PCV13 at least 1 year after the most recent PPSV23 dose.

On my first day back in the States, I went to the local pharmacy (chemist) and received my first of two pneumococcal vaccines (which was free with my health insurance, since I'm ove 65).  I also received a flu shot, which was also covered for free with my health insurance.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

  I also received a flu shot, which was also covered for free with my health insurance.

Yet, many Doctors throughout the World will tell you that inoculations at our age are pretty much useless, Our immune system is pretty much set and with this you will become ill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jack Peterson said:

Yet, many Doctors throughout the World will tell you that inoculations at our age are pretty much useless, Our immune system is pretty much set and with this you will become ill

Are there any significant risks with getting inoculations at our age?  My point is even if they are thought to be useless, is it healthier for us to not get these innoculations?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I automatically keep mine up to date and will add rabbies and Japanese encephalitis to the mix once I arrive in the Philippines. Not sure about flu as I will not be in the UK or Philippines during their respective flu seasons.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

Yet, many Doctors throughout the World will tell you that inoculations at our age are pretty much useless, Our immune system is pretty much set and with this you will become ill

The Flu viruses mutate every year which necessitates the annual flu inoculation as the flu viruses are aggressive.  Our immune system peaks at it's strongest from 35-55 and then begins to weaken which is why booster immunizations are recommended and why pneumococcal inoculations are recommended for people over 65.  Remember that tetanus shots should be renewed every 10 years as their effectiveness wears off and no doctor in their right mind would tell you not to renew it.  Could be because we become more sedentary and our metabolism begins to slow.

On another note there are studies and doctors that now say that it isn't a matter of if you will have a problem taking statins for cholesterol but when that problem occurs.  Not wide-spread knowledge but people over 60 shouldn't be taking them.  They can kill you.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

Are there any significant risks with getting inoculations at our age?  My point is even if they are thought to be useless, is it healthier for us to not get these innoculations?

 

1 hour ago, Hobbit112 said:

The Flu viruses mutate every year which necessitates the annual flu inoculation as the flu viruses are aggressive.  Our immune system peaks at it's strongest from 35-55 and then begins to weaken which is why booster immunizations are recommended and why pneumococcal inoculations are recommended for people over 65.  Remember that tetanus shots should be renewed every 10 years as their effectiveness wears off and no doctor in their right mind would tell you not to renew it.  Could be because we become more sedentary and our metabolism begins to slow.

On another note there are studies and doctors that now say that it isn't a matter of if you will have a problem taking statins for cholesterol but when that problem occurs.  Not wide-spread knowledge but people over 60 shouldn't be taking them.  They can kill you.

 Well guys I will put it like this. I Listen to my Doctor who has been keeping me going for many years and ( I Trust her ) she is 60+ herself) She tells me what I should and should not take and How things react against each other. For me, apart from my Stroke maintenance I am doing Fine and it would seem my Immune system is working Fine, So I will be   moving on.png as with many things there is no one size fits all 

 Jack:smile:

 Morning All :photo-109:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Hobbit112 said:

On another note there are studies and doctors that now say that it isn't a matter of if you will have a problem taking statins for cholesterol but when that problem occurs.  Not wide-spread knowledge but people over 60 shouldn't be taking them.  They can kill you.

I recently stopped taking a statin daily. Since I had a small heart attack almost 10 years ago I have been taking statins. In that time, regardless of how healthy my diet is, how much exercise I get, quitting smoking, and taking the statins. My HDL and LDL numbers haven't really changed much in all that time. As noted there can be side effects. I lived my whole life never having any problems with acid reflux. Then all of a sudden a few years ago it had become a huge problem for me. One possible side effect with statins can effect your digestion and cause acid reflux. So I have been off the statins for several months now and am now trying to get off the proton pump inhibitor for my acid reflux.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, earthdome said:

I recently stopped taking a statin daily. Since I had a small heart attack almost 10 years ago I have been taking statins. In that time, regardless of how healthy my diet is, how much exercise I get, quitting smoking, and taking the statins. My HDL and LDL numbers haven't really changed much in all that time. As noted there can be side effects. I lived my whole life never having any problems with acid reflux. Then all of a sudden a few years ago it had become a huge problem for me. One possible side effect with statins can effect your digestion and cause acid reflux. So I have been off the statins for several months now and am now trying to get off the proton pump inhibitor for my acid reflux.

Wishing you luck in this. I have some minor side effects from that as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...