Umbrellas and the Weather

Hobbit112
Posted
Posted

About 7 years ago my brother tripped and was unable to get up on his own.  He was 65 at the time and considered healthy and active.  After no improvement for several weeks he was sent to the Mayo Clinic in Rochester Minnesota and was finally diagnosed with 'Statin Induced Muscular Neuropathy'. 

When you work, exercise or even just move your muscles, they break down and are rebuilt.  This is what happens to make our muscles stronger.  The statin drugs he was on stopped the rebuilding process so his muscles were dying and he was getting weaker.  After taking him off statins he has recovered a fair bit but now the doctors are having a hard time trying to lower his cholesterol to where they think it should be without the use of statins.  

9 hours ago, earthdome said:

regardless of how healthy my diet is, how much exercise I get, quitting smoking, and taking the statins. My HDL and LDL numbers haven't really changed much in all that time

:thumbsup:

There are conflicting studies out there on how much your diet and exercise really play in a person's cholesterol level.  Several of the studies showed a very minimal effect on the levels.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Hobbit112 said:

About 7 years ago my brother tripped and was unable to get up on his own.  He was 65 at the time and considered healthy and active.  After no improvement for several weeks he was sent to the Mayo Clinic in Rochester Minnesota and was finally diagnosed with 'Statin Induced Muscular Neuropathy'. 

When you work, exercise or even just move your muscles, they break down and are rebuilt.  This is what happens to make our muscles stronger.  The statin drugs he was on stopped the rebuilding process so his muscles were dying and he was getting weaker.  After taking him off statins he has recovered a fair bit but now the doctors are having a hard time trying to lower his cholesterol to where they think it should be without the use of statins.  

:thumbsup:

There are conflicting studies out there on how much your diet and exercise really play in a person's cholesterol level.  Several of the studies showed a very minimal effect on the levels.

On that I can agree and it seems that no one really has an answer, I changed my Diets, on and off meds and upped and downed Exercise to no real effect so For me, confusion is my state of play :huh:

• Like 1