Driving and then flying to the Philippines

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted

I’m planning on returning to the Phils to get my son and step-daughter for a trip to the USA in order to re-unite our family.  Currently, they are being watched by my mother-in-law and sister-in-law.

Although we video chat with them daily, my wife and I miss them both terribly.

Right now, I’m waiting for the US government’s approval of my step-daughter’s Immigration Visa to the USA.  My son already has his American citizenship (through a CRBA) and an American passport.

My wife and I are always trying to budget out money in order to buy the plane tickets when the time comes for us to travel back to the Phils… but recently we discussed that it would be much better for us to drive to Los Angeles (LA) from Texas and park our car at the airport, where we could fly to Manila (and back to the USA) with much lower costing airfares. 

We did the math and it would be more economical for both of us to drive to LA and use LA as both our point of departure and our point of entry instead into the USA.

Plus, my wife and children would be able to see more of the USA by doing it this way.

• Like 3
  • Hmm thinking 1

robert k
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

I’m planning on returning to the Phils to get my son and step-daughter for a trip to the USA in order to re-unite our family.  Currently, they are being watched by my mother-in-law and sister-in-law.

Although we video chat with them daily, my wife and I miss them both terribly.

Right now, I’m waiting for the US government’s approval of my step-daughter’s Immigration Visa to the USA.  My son already has his American citizenship (through a CRBA) and an American passport.

My wife and I are always trying to budget out money in order to buy the plane tickets when the time comes for us to travel back to the Phils… but recently we discussed that it would be much better for us to drive to Los Angeles (LA) from Texas and park our car at the airport, where we could fly to Manila (and back to the USA) with much lower costing airfares. 

We did the math and it would be more economical for both of us to drive to LA and use LA as both our point of departure and our point of entry instead into the USA.

Plus, my wife and children would be able to see more of the USA by doing it this way.

Appealing thought, as long as your car is in good shape when you come back.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

park our car at the airport,

Mark, I can not remember the name or the price  of parking, but it is cheaper than using airport parking.

As you exit off the 405 going towards the airport on the right hand side there is a private parking lot for long term parking. As secure as you kan expect anywhere in the states lol. I want to say its about 10 maybe 14 dollars a day. When we used to visit we parked there. I would drop the wife off at the terminal, go park the car then take one of their shuttles to the terminal. Used it maybe 5 times and never had a problem.  I suppose the kost has gone up but I am sure you can google them. Hope this helps a bit. 

Edited by Jollygoodfellow
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted

Thanks Scott! I apppreciate this and I'll save your directions on my Smartphone.

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

Well Mark, it sounds like having immediate transportation to see southern CA will you give more flexibility as you return back to Texas.  Additionally, what better way to introduce the newly arrived immigrants to Disney, Universal Studios and all the weird and wonderful people at Venice Beach......he, he.   If you plan to entertain your family to the wonders of USA, hide that account until you arrive back.  I didn't and returned with leftover cash just enough to pay for the long term parking.  Yeah, I usually come back broke......he, he.  

Keep a track on typhoons during their peak season -- I believe around SEPT and OCT.  I prefer travelling around NOV through FEB, which is peak tourist season and RT fares are reasonable if you book well in advance.  Of course your travel plans are dependent when your children gets the green light.   

Respectfully Jake 

• Thanks 1

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Jake said:

Additionally, what better way to introduce the newly arrived immigrants to Disney, Universal Studios and all the weird and wonderful people at Venice Beach......he, he. 

Wow!  My wife is just gonna love that! 

Hopefully, she'll want to do more than just taking a selfie in front of the Disneyland entrance sign.:laugh:

But I know that since the kids will love to go to Disneyland and Universal City, I know that she'll want to actually go into the parks with the kids and me.  Personally, I'd like to go to the Santa Monica Pier since I always seem to skip doing that whenever I've been In the LA area.

Also , thanks for the rest of your advice, since I greatly appreciate your input :smile:

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 6/12/2019 at 6:10 AM, scott h said:

Mark, I can not remember the name or the price  of parking, but it is cheaper than using airport parking.

As you exit off the 405 going towards the airport on the right hand side there is a private parking lot for long term parking. As secure as you kan expect anywhere in the states lol. I want to say its about 10 maybe 14 dollars a day. When we used to visit we parked there. I would drop the wife off at the terminal, go park the car then take one of their shuttles to the terminal. Used it maybe 5 times and never had a problem.  I suppose the kost has gone up but I am sure you can google them. Hope this helps a bit. 

There are a lot of off airport parking lots so you can shop around.  Type "los angeles airport long term parking" into Google maps.

However, the best deal would be to park at a friend's house.  Any friend's in L.A.?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

Any friend's in L.A.?

Not yet, but I'm always open to making new friends :smile:

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

Not yet, but I'm always open to making new friends :smile:

Too bad Mark......I live in Las Vegas, about 4-5 hrs drive from LAX (without traffic).  

• Like 1

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Jake said:

Too bad Mark......I live in Las Vegas, about 4-5 hrs drive from LAX (without traffic).  

Thanks Jake!  It's too bad for parking reasons, but maybe we could meet up for dinner in Las Vegas with you and yours (and me and mine) :)

Edited by Mark Berkowitz
  • Like 1