Nicknames

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted

In the Philippines, I learned that many people refer to other people with nicknames.  When my wife owned an eatery, she would mention her employees to me by their nicknames, instead of their actual names, such as:

•  The girl who never smiles
  •  The boy who never shows up
  •  The boy who always disappears for hours

Plus, some other male employees had the name ‘boy’ attached to their names, such as Jim was known as Jim Boy and John was known as John Boy.

It seems like we are still doing this sort of thing whenever we cannot remember the actual name of an actor (such as Hugh Jackman), and we’ll refer to him as ‘The Wolverine Boy.’  Russell Crowe is the ‘Gladiator Boy.’  Matt Damon is the ‘Bourne Identity Boy.’

Plus, recently my wife was discussing how one of her co-workers is always taking a cigarette break… can you guess his name?  Yes!... ‘The Smoking Boy.’

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

The only nicknames I hear are their own nicknames: ging, ting, noy...  Usually doubled. My wife's (and 20 million others) nickname is ging-ging.  (also ghing)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

ging-ging.

That's my sister in laws name..small world!!:dance:

• Haha 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

Jim was known as Jim Boy and John was known as John Boy.

Waltons had a family like that :smile:

• Haha 2

Rayj
Posted
Posted

Kuya boy

• Haha 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

My wife generally calls me Tito Tim... as well as a few other things that the filters would block here ha ha   :tiphat:

• Haha 1

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted

Mine is Kuya Mark, and since my in-laws call me that during video chats, my son said "hi Kuya Mark" to me :laugh: .... I corrected him by telling him to call me Daddy.  I really do need to get him back soon.