Learning to Speak English (Again)

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted

OK, I’m an American, so some of our members will debate if I could actually speak English to begin with (when I first left the USA to live in the Philippines).

But if you can agree that Americans speak English, albeit not the same English as an Englishman, then you may be able to relate to what I’m saying.

When I first came back to the States, I was still speaking Filipino English, since that was all that I was able to speak for several years.  I tried to speak to my millennial 26 year old daughter in the States whilst I was still in the Phils, but she doesn’t like to speak, just text and tweet.

So, these are the steps that I’ve taken so far:

Speak faster

Say things properly—i.e. much better instead of more better, much hotter instead of more hot, yummier instead of more yummy, etc.  Sounds simple?... not really, since I’ll still slip up now and then and I’ll have to laugh at myself.

Learn New Wordsmy bad instead of my mistake, woke (which I think means some type of epiphany of suddenly knowing that things that were once acceptable are no longer acceptable or tolerated… (just my interpretation, so far, so please explain it to me if I’m wrong).

There’s still so much more English that I’ll need to learn :wink:

robert k
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

OK, I’m an American, so some of our members will debate if I could actually speak English to begin with (when I first left the USA to live in the Philippines).

But if you can agree that Americans speak English, albeit not the same English as an Englishman, then you may be able to relate to what I’m saying.

When I first came back to the States, I was still speaking Filipino English, since that was all that I was able to speak for several years.  I tried to speak to my millennial 26 year old daughter in the States whilst I was still in the Phils, but she doesn’t like to speak, just text and tweet.

So, these are the steps that I’ve taken so far:

Speak faster

Say things properly—i.e. much better instead of more better, much hotter instead of more hot, yummier instead of more yummy, etc.  Sounds simple?... not really, since I’ll still slip up now and then and I’ll have to laugh at myself.

Learn New Wordsmy bad instead of my mistake, woke (which I think means some type of epiphany of suddenly knowing that things that were once acceptable are no longer acceptable or tolerated… (just my interpretation, so far, so please explain it to me if I’m wrong).

There’s still so much more English that I’ll need to learn :wink:

I would check out some phrases like, "get woke, go broke", as they are trending. Because things which were not acceptable but were let go, are now no longer being allowed to pass.

• Thanks 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, robert k said:

I would check out some phrases like, "get woke, go broke", as they are trending. Because things which were not acceptable but were let go, are now no longer being allowed to pass.

Get woke, is that english, surely "be woken".

robert k
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Gary D said:

I don't make up the phrases. If you want to patent "be woken, be broken", it's totally up to you.

• Like 1

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, robert k said:

get woke, go broke

4 minutes ago, Gary D said:

Get Woke, Go Broke is a phrase coined by the internationally bestselling author John Ringo to express the opinion that when organizations "get woke" to politically correct actions, those same actions usually result in a massive loss of income.

This is usually because the Twatter instigators calling for the company to "get woke" doesn't actually spend any money with the company.
"Hey, I heard that the 2018 GAMA convention was like totally empty" 
"Yeah, man. 'Get Woke, Go Broke'"

"So I heard Yeti stopped their NRA discounts." 
"Yup. Apparently they didn't realize that the majority of people who bought their shit were hunters." 
"Get woke, Go broke!"Z 
"Amen"

"Dude, I went by Dick's last night and the place was empty. What the hell?" 
"Man, didn't you hear? They stopped selling modern sporting rifles and hired a gun control lobbyist in DC. All of their actual spending customers went elsewhere." 
"Get woke, go broke?" 
"Oh hell yeah. So much that the board got called out in a shareholder's meeting!"

Gary D
Posted
Posted

So an americanism not english

robert k
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

Get Woke, Go Broke is a phrase coined by the internationally bestselling author John Ringo to express the opinion that when organizations "get woke" to politically correct actions, those same actions usually result in a massive loss of income.

This is usually because the Twatter instigators calling for the company to "get woke" doesn't actually spend any money with the company.
"Hey, I heard that the 2018 GAMA convention was like totally empty" 
"Yeah, man. 'Get Woke, Go Broke'"

"So I heard Yeti stopped their NRA discounts." 
"Yup. Apparently they didn't realize that the majority of people who bought their shit were hunters." 
"Get woke, Go broke!"Z 
"Amen"

"Dude, I went by Dick's last night and the place was empty. What the hell?" 
"Man, didn't you hear? They stopped selling modern sporting rifles and hired a gun control lobbyist in DC. All of their actual spending customers went elsewhere." 
"Get woke, go broke?" 
"Oh hell yeah. So much that the board got called out in a shareholder's meeting!"

Not to mention "news" outlets like Vice, Buzzfeed and others are getting decimated. Another phrase is "Learn to code". Journalists said that to West Virginia coal miners when their jobs were disappearing and Hillary Clinton said she would end them completely. Now, twitter bans people who told journalists to learn to code? So be it.

• Thanks 1

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted
14 minutes ago, Gary D said:

1 hour ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

I guess that I was right with the start of my post. :wink:

• Like 1

Kuya M
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gary D said:

giphy.gif

Kuya John
Posted
Posted

How do you comfort a grammar fanatic........Their,They're,There. :mocking: