Posted

Get Woke, Go Broke

Here's another phrase to make young peoples' ears bleed,,,

get a job,  or that dirty four letter word '' work ''

• Like 2

Rayj
Posted
Posted (edited)

Gonna and wanna are used by new speakers of English, they are heard so often.

It’s not the queens English, but it is Donald Trumps, and probably every president in my lifetime.  How about cockney, or Aussie?

Edited by Rayj
  • Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted
On 6/15/2019 at 10:07 AM, Gary D said:

Here in the UK dope firstly is a type of varnish used on early fabric winged aeroplanes and secondly short for dopey or stupid ( your a dope). Don't know where the modern drugs reference came from.

Possibly has something to do with sniffing glue or some kind of adhesive. There is also pipe "dope". I can recall some strong light objects made with various "doped" fibers.

• Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, robert k said:

Possibly has something to do with sniffing glue or some kind of adhesive. There is also pipe "dope". I can recall some strong light objects made with various "doped" fibers.

I think unintentional sniffing glue as when doping the wings of biplanes in an inclosed space the smell would be quite heady.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

English is Great in England until you venture North then it can get Tricky, Just as a taste I offer the "Yorkshire Hole"

Yorkshire language.jpg and the Further North you go the worse it gets, Now in Scotland many need a Translator :whistling:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Hmm thinking 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
36 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

English is Great in England until you venture North then it can get Tricky, Just as a taste I offer the "Yorkshire Hole"

Yorkshire language.jpg and the Further North you go the worse it gets, Now in Scotland many need a Translator :whistling:

I'd say the West Country and the Midlands accents would give any of the Northern UK accents a run for their money 

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, hk blues said:

the Midlands accents would give any of the Northern UK accents a run for their money 

Ar our Kid I'm from Brum so oi nows what yow mins 

Edited by Jack Peterson
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

Ar our Kid I'm from Brum so oi nows what yow mins 

Nice Kipper Tie too i'm sure!  

I'm a Tetley man myself 

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

People used to complain about the aussie accent being hard to understand (less so these days as with international media it's becoming international English that younger Aussies are speaking) but honestly... some of the UK regional accents are impossible for us non-brits to understand at anything close to normal speaking speed. 

A mate of mine is a Geordie (we still get in touch occasionally) he's got a real accent but his older relatives were almost unintelligible even when they were trying to be understood (let along when they went full Geordie).

Is a non-local allowed to say...  "A Geordie is just a Scot with his head kicked in!" 

It mightn't be PC but I still find that hilarious 30 years later :hystery:

• Like 1

Kuya John
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

English is Great in England until you venture North then it can get Tricky,

Hey watch your language.......I resemble that remark Lar.......and don't call me a Dope just because I'm Dis-electric. :tongue:

• Haha 1