Manila, Queen of the Pacific 1938

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, robert k said:

To the best of my understanding, the Philippines was to be granted independence in or around 1950 in any case, the war just sped the process up by a few years.

I think that the war actually delayed the granting of Philippines independence, which was originally scheduled for 1944.

"After a few days of intense debate, both houses of Congress approved the new version built largely on the framework of Hare–Hawes–Cutting, including the 10-year transition period to independence. President Roosevelt signed it into law on March 24, 1934. Dubbed the Tydings–McDuffie Act after Senator Millard Tydings of Maryland and Representative John McDuffie of Alabama, the Philippine legislature approved the law in May 1934. The Philippines then held a referendum on the new constitution and an island-wide plebiscite on independence. Philippine voters approved the package by huge margins."

https://history.house.gov/Exhibitions-and-Publications/APA/Historical-Essays/Exclusion-and-Empire/The-Philippines/

robert k
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

I think that the war actually delayed the granting of Philippines independence, which was originally scheduled for 1944.

"After a few days of intense debate, both houses of Congress approved the new version built largely on the framework of Hare–Hawes–Cutting, including the 10-year transition period to independence. President Roosevelt signed it into law on March 24, 1934. Dubbed the Tydings–McDuffie Act after Senator Millard Tydings of Maryland and Representative John McDuffie of Alabama, the Philippine legislature approved the law in May 1934. The Philippines then held a referendum on the new constitution and an island-wide plebiscite on independence. Philippine voters approved the package by huge margins."

https://history.house.gov/Exhibitions-and-Publications/APA/Historical-Essays/Exclusion-and-Empire/The-Philippines/

Thanks.