Rats > Poison > Dead Rats > Now Flies!

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

When we left for Bohol for 9 days, I left rat poison in a few places.  It did the job and I'm sure at least 2 rats were killed.  One of them in my store room was already80% decomposed.  The other(s) are probably in the attic and I could smell one in the back of the house.

We returned on June 5th and yesterday, the 15th, all of a sudden we have lots of flies in the house.  I don't know where they are getting into the house from but I assume they are from the dead rats in the attic.

We have been swatting them like crazy.  I also just set up a mosquito zapper and that might get a few small ones.  Any other ideas on how to quickly get rid of the flies?

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

It's the cycle of life :SugarwareZ-005:

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted

I guess that's life - solving one problem is a sure-fire way to create another!  

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Spray with Baygon.  The one that has the orange scent is the least offensive to my nose.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

Spray with Baygon.  The one that has the orange scent is the least offensive to my nose.

I thought about spraying but there is a constant flow of the new flies.  Anyway....... (next post)

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Oh crap, I found a rat!

We have an electrical closet in our kitchen area and recently, before the Bohol trip, I had discovered that the rats had figured out a way to squeeze down into it from the attic.  In fact, this is where I had kept some rat poison in the boxes and Terro ant poison.  The rat(s) had chewed on the Terro and the rat poison.  So before the Bohol trip, this was one place where I laid some more rat poison.

When we returned, I checked there and the poison had all been eaten.  I didn't see any rats.  My wife has a keen nose and tracked the smell to that electrical closet, and with a flashlight, she saw a dead rat hanging on the highest part of the electrical box stuff.  This one must be a recent death as it is not fully decomposed.  The flies must be coming from it!

So my after lunch job is now to try and get this out without losing my lunch!

20190616_125627 (2).jpg  20190616_125643 (2).jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

robert k
Posted
Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Oh crap, I found a rat!

We have an electrical closet in our kitchen area and recently, before the Bohol trip, I had discovered that the rats had figured out a way to squeeze down into it from the attic.  In fact, this is where I had kept some rat poison in the boxes and Terro ant poison.  The rat(s) had chewed on the Terro and the rat poison.  So before the Bohol trip, this was one place where I laid some more rat poison.

When we returned, I checked there and the poison had all been eaten.  I didn't see any rats.  My wife has a keen nose and tracked the smell to that electrical closet, and with a flashlight, she saw a dead rat hanging on the highest part of the electrical box stuff.  This one must be a recent death as it is not fully decomposed.  The flies must be coming from it!

So my after lunch job is now to try and get this out without losing my lunch!

20190616_125627 (2).jpg  20190616_125643 (2).jpg

I hope they aren't chewing on your wires anywhere. Is all the wiring run in conduit or is there some romex out where the rats can get to it?

Edited by robert k
typo
  • Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

This one must be a recent death as it is not fully decomposed.

The nice thing is they decompose very fast so the flies and smell should be gone in a few days.  The better news is that the rats seem to all be gone before they damaged your wiring.  The bad news is that if they are still getting in from outside then you need to find out where and seal it or have a continuous supply of rat poison and develop a "nose" for the smell.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, robert k said:

I hope they aren't chewing on your wires anywhere. Is all the wiring run in conduit or is there so romex out where the rats can get to it?

I think most of the wiring is in conduit but I'm not 100% sure.

The holes where the conduit go into this closet is where the rats got in there.  There is barely any room but I guess they can really squeeze!

Outside access for the rats, that Dave mentioned, is a problem.  I probably need to take some temporary measures in that area, until we can rebuild properly.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Outside access for the rats, that Dave mentioned, is a problem.  I probably need to take some temporary measures in that area, until we can rebuild properly.

Expanding Foam Liquid? I read that some have a rat deterrent chemical in it

• Like 3