Paying for Meal

gaga4
Posted
Posted

Thanks Dave. But looks like you're off topic.

• Haha 1
  • I'm Confused 4
  • Sad 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, gaga4 said:

Scott, what you are also saying therefore is - if a Pinoy comes to the US then I should expect them to foot the bill when we dine out - because that is their culture. Or am I wrong about that???

Yeah, you might have misunderstood me a little bit. If you are in the states, you are a "dollar earner" also. So when the "poor relations" from the Phil. visit, not only will you be expected to treat but most likely let them stay at your house, unless you want to rent them a hotel room. 

1 hour ago, gaga4 said:

Sorry, I totally disagree with the culture reasoning.

Sounds weird doesn't it? But yet you have several guys who have been living here, or have been closely involved with Filipino culture for a long time (for me I married into it 25 years ago)(and I still get surprised at times :hystery:) so you can pretty much take it to the bank.

You mentioned Thailand, I have not been there, but to Japan and Korea where if you are a guest you can leave your wallet at home so I know what you mean. 

It might help not to think of it as an Asian culture per se. It is a mixture of Spanish, American, Chinese with some of the old tribal customs mixed in. Usually in our view they took all the bad parts from each and left the rest :hystery:

Bottom line: IT IS WHAT IT IS. 

• Like 3

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)

It is what it is... I found myself facing some quiet questions from a couple of family members after another westerner visited a family yaya, they weren't angry they were honestly surprised (and a bit sad for their yaya). Basically 'he organized a night at a hotel with food and swimming and then he and his girlfriend invited people' and he didn't pay (except for him and his yaya and her son).  Why would he do this Geoffrey?  He didn't have to have food and swimming with the family?  It was left to my family members to make up the shortfall out of their weekly budget. They didn't ask me for money but they did end up having to remove the AC unit from the downstairs bedrooms (selling it I think) and also thereby reducing their electric spend to catch up on their budget.

Sometimes the cultural differences create problems on both sides of the divide gaga4, my suggestion would be to say something along the lines of 'no budget' if you're asked for a group outing.

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 2

gaga4
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

:hystery: :cornflakes: My mistake.  Sorry to interrupt your rant.  Please continue.  We all need it from time to time.

Darn tootin' straight!

• Like 1

Lou49
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, gaga4 said:

So that's the mentality of Pinoys? Foreigners are rich? Never mind that they are your guests? So you let guests pay instead of the host paying? WTF!!! Part of the problem is the Philippines is not any cheaper as it is in the US. This notion that its cheap to retire there is hogwash!! 

Bingo. You got it.

gaga4
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Eddie1 said:

So DON'T!     The Phils isn't for everybody and it certainly doesn't sound like it is the right place for you.  It's a big world, look for another place that falls in line with your expectations.

:popcorn:

So don't is right!!!

• Like 2

virginprune
Posted
Posted

I've only once been expected to pick up the tab in a restaurant, that was in Thailand 12 years ago.

• I'm Confused 1