Paying for Meal

gaga4
Posted
Posted (edited)

You can slice and dice it all you want but you know it is wrong to make a visitor or guest pay. Stop making the excuse that it's the custom or culture. If you cannot afford to spend then don't invite nor have a party.

Edited by gaga4
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Eddie1
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, GeoffH said:

I thought it was Kuripot?

(There is a good chance I'm wrong but I'd like to know either way if anyone knows)

Kuripot is correct.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, gaga4 said:

You can slice and dice it all you want but you know it is wrong to make a visitor or guest pay. Stop making the excuse that it's the custom or culture. If you cannot afford to spend then don't invite nor have a party.

So custom and culture have no influence on paying "custom"?  

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, gaga4 said:

You can slice and dice it all you want but you know it is wrong to make a visitor or guest pay.

There is no such thing as absolute right or absolute wrong, they are societal concepts agreed upon by groups of people, ie by a society.

It is entirely possible, in fact common for two different societies or indeed one society at two different time periods to reach a different consensus about what constitutes right and what constitutes wrong.

Don’t believe me?  Then explain different rules laws about abortion, gay rights, age of consent or... who should pay for a meal (even that has altered recently, 40 years ago a man was always expected to pay, now dutch is normal and woman pays isn’t uncommon).

The Philippines is a different society to the one that exists in our home countries and it is to be expected that they will have different norms.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

gaga4
Posted
Posted

Ok, first of all making guests pay is wrong!! And I'll go ahead and say it - these customs/culture have become an excuse resulting from an extremely over populated country. I hope I don't have to explain the side effects of over population. There is a connection. Justify the "custom/culture" all you want but you can't twist it around and make it sound like it's ok. If you cannot afford to pay or spend or foot the bill then don't invite people to dine out. I left the Philippines years ago. I understand what is not acceptable. And making guests pay is not acceptable. Nor is spending beyond your means.

Here's one for you. If Duterte did not squash laglag bala I bet people would justify it as part of the culture. 

• Haha 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, gaga4 said:

Ok, first of all making guests pay is wrong!! 

I’ll simplify it for you.

It’s wrong in the US because the US people think it’s wrong and it's not wrong in the Philippines because the Philippines people think it isn’t.

Your country your rules, their country their rules.

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 5

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted

Is it just me?... or is this thread starting to sound very similar to our 'Tipping in the Philippines' debates :89:

• Like 2

Kuya John
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, gaga4 said:

If Duterte did not squash laglag bala

:89:

4 hours ago, Eddie1 said:

Kuripot is correct. 

:89: I'm a bit lost here Guy's....why not put the squashed laglag bala in the Kuripot and we'll make a meal of it!

I'll bring the rice :morning1:

• Haha 1

gaga4
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, GeoffH said:

I’ll simplify it for you.

It’s wrong in the US because the US people think it’s wrong and it's not wrong in the Philippines because the Philippines people think it isn’t.

Your country your rules, their country their rules.

Oh how convenient. So I  guess that means that if a Pinoy visits the US he will expect Americans to treat him.... How convenient is that.... that's where you're wrong. Some pinoys want to make this way because they want to erase the honor and dignity that once existed among Filipinos, you being one of them apparently I'm guessing.

Edited by gaga4