Paying for Meal

gaga4
Posted
Posted
32 minutes ago, Kuya John said:

:89:

:89: I'm a bit lost here Guy's....why not put the squashed laglag bala in the Kuripot and we'll make a meal of it!

I'll bring the rice :morning1:

Yeah... That's what pinoys are good at.... making fun of things when wala ng lusot... laglag bala would have been deemed cultural if the world did not think it was a terroristic act.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Gaga, you’ve made your point please be respectful? :unsure:

• Like 3

Gary D
Posted
Posted

You have to remember many filipinos are out and out opportunists. You were caught, I've been caught and wife was too embarrassed to call them out. Just be less trusting in future.

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, gaga4 said:

You can slice and dice it all you want but you know it is wrong to make a visitor or guest pay. Stop making the excuse that it's the custom or culture. If you cannot afford to spend then don't invite nor have a party.

I think you may be incorrect about those people inviting you being your friends. 

Another point is that some foreigners Like to show off, I call it Big Balling, problem being, the rest of us who don't enjoy it. Maybe they were trying to figure out which kind you were?

• Like 2
  • Love it 1

gaga4
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Old55 said:

Gaga, you’ve made your point please be respectful? :unsure:

Sorry. Not trying to step on anyone's toes. I probably have the wrong audience here anyway. My comments are really meant more for the locals to point out to them that this modus operandi which you claim to be culture is not acceptable. One that will back-fire sooner or later, if it hasn't already.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

robert k
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, gaga4 said:

Sorry. Not trying to step on anyone's toes. I probably have the wrong audience here anyway. My comments are really meant more for the locals to point out to them that this modus operandi which you claim to be culture is not acceptable. One that will back-fire sooner or later, if it hasn't already.

I can see from your point of view. Many Filipinos would just say "Don't like it? Don't come." They also would have a point.

May I ask what the final decision is? Knowing what you know now, will you return? And if you will return? Will you let all interested know why? Just curious, on my part.

• Like 1

Kuya John
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, gaga4 said:

Yeah... That's what pinoys are good at.... making fun of things when wala ng lusot... laglag bala would have been deemed cultural if the world did not think it was a terroristic act.

My comment was to try to lighten this thread, as a non Filipino I don't understand Tagalog, so I made a joke out of Kuripot.

What I do understand is that you have a strange attitude about being left to pay the bill,  considering you state your Country of birth is Philippines and this is the first time I have encountered a Filipino make such a fuss, especially as you state you were on a cruise, which indicates you are not short of money, if I'm correct. respectfully JB

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted
On 6/16/2019 at 4:49 PM, gaga4 said:

So that's the mentality of Pinoys? Foreigners are rich? Never mind that they are your guests? So you let guests pay instead of the host paying? WTF!!! Part of the problem is the Philippines is not any cheaper as it is in the US. This notion that its cheap to retire there is hogwash!! 

Perhaps it would be better phrased to say it's "possible" to live cheaper in the Philippines. To my shame, I got a parking ticket in Dumaguete, the fine was less than parking costs downtown in the US. In the US if you live in an incorporated area and you don't have running hot water in your home, it can be condemned and you will be kicked out, never mind that people have heated water in a pot as needed for thousands of years. 

• Like 3

Howard
Posted
Posted
On 6/17/2019 at 12:26 AM, gaga4 said:

Sorry for the rant but I do not understand why as visitor from the US I am expected to pay for the meal when eating out. We recently had a get together with some friends while passing thru on a cruise. We made them aware that we will be in town so they arranged for dinner at the Manila Hotel. Mind you these are professionals (doctors, lawyers). None of them lifted a finger to pay the tab. We are visitors to their country for heavens sake. When I have people visiting us we treat them!! So much for the so-called Filipino hospitality.

I've never had the privilege to dine with doctors and lawyers here but I would be upset too if they didn't ante up at bill time. Your average run of the mill Filipino though will always expect that if they are dining out with me and my wife that I will be paying. They might even have been the ones who invited us! You could be the poorest SOB in the Philippines but if your foreign, you are rich! Clap your hands at the sky and the money will fall down. Living here you have to limit who you hang out with and who you go to dinner with or you will go broke. I'm a cheap ?????? and it definitely limits my social life here. And that extends to the in laws too, when we visit there I'm expected to pay for the meals and entertainment basically everyday. Welcome to the Philippines!

• Love it 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Howard said:

I've never had the privilege to dine with doctors and lawyers here but I would be upset too if they didn't ante up at bill time. Your average run of the mill Filipino though will always expect that if they are dining out with me and my wife that I will be paying. They might even have been the ones who invited us! You could be the poorest SOB in the Philippines but if your foreign, you are rich! Clap your hands at the sky and the money will fall down. Living here you have to limit who you hang out with and who you go to dinner with or you will go broke. I'm a cheap ?????? and it definitely limits my social life here. And that extends to the in laws too, when we visit there I'm expected to pay for the meals and entertainment basically everyday. Welcome to the Philippines!

From the get-go I made it clear I was not going to be the typical big-hearted foreigner opening his wallet at every turn.  That was maybe hard at the beginning but now we're reaping the benefits as nobody expects anything from us.   Luckily, there are not too many foreigners around us setting a bad example! 

• Like 3