Paying for Meal

Howard
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Arizona Kid said:

Why would you consider it a privilege? Upper class? I'd rather eat with people who aren't ashamed to eat with their fingers off of banana leafs. Much more fun and I can wear my shorts and flip flops.:smile:

Just a figure of speech...:smile:

• Like 4

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted
On 6/16/2019 at 11:26 AM, gaga4 said:

I do not understand why as visitor from the US I am expected to pay for the meal when eating out

As another member recently said: 

“When In Rome, do as the Filipinos do.”

But I guess that you can also apply that to the Philippines as well, so: 

When in the Philippines, do as the Filipinos do.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

Howard
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, TimL said:

I think that it’s been pretty well documented over the years on this forum and others that, foreigners are by the majority, expected to foot the bill for parties and get togethers. Same goes with inviting a few and the whole family shows up. It is, what it is, set the ground rules ahead of time if you want to deviate from what is considered their norm. If I attend any get togethers or have dinner with folks here, I am already resigned to the fact ahead of time that I’ll be the one footing the bill. With that in mind, it doesn’t happen very often. I also limit the number of any family members staying at my condo to 2 at any one time, along with a set departure date and an onward ticket. 😂 

I wish I could limit the condo numbers...never a phone call...doorbell...someone is here! I don't know what they would do if we were out of town, they come unannounced,  with no money for return trip, no food and expect to stay a week or more...Good point about the onward ticket for family members...That cost is expected also.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Over the years we have seen, read and heard about living a couple of Islands/and or many Km's away from Family and close Friends of the Family, This Latter part of the Topic just goes to show that it is not always the best policy :huh: 

• Like 2
  • Love it 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
55 minutes ago, TimL said:

I think that it’s been pretty well documented over the years on this forum and others that, foreigners are by the majority, expected to foot the bill for parties and get togethers. Same goes with inviting a few and the whole family shows up. It is, what it is, set the ground rules ahead of time if you want to deviate from what is considered their norm. If I attend any get togethers or have dinner with folks here, I am already resigned to the fact ahead of time that I’ll be the one footing the bill. With that in mind, it doesn’t happen very often. I also limit the number of any family members staying at my condo to 2 at any one time, along with a set departure date and an onward ticket. 😂 

Good strategy - just a shame we have to set such ground rules as, where we are from, some things don't need to be said so explicitly.  

• Like 2