Paying for Meal

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

I had a talk with Gf,s sister and brother in law about paying for meals etc

They are the well healed couple of the family , i was told if i want to have a party , book a buffet type restaurant, do not have one at home as the neighbour's will turn up expecting to be fed.

The gf,s family are well off by Philippines standard , of the three sisters  , two budget for mamas medicine ,the third sister has a lot of kids and she gets subsidised by one sister,  after we had a pizza and a bucket of chicken the untouched left overs were sent round to that sister

During my recent visit , i paid for two jollibees for her kids ,donated to the lolas party ,an amount equal to everyone elses , i paid 50% of our trip to siargo , gf and her cousin paid 25% each 

I was taken out to a restaurant and invited to her sisters home for dinner

My take on it is that these are " middle class " philpinos ,who share the cost of familly events ,they do not expect one or two i individuals to foot the bill , the better off ones do tend to treat those less fortunate.

Its part of their culture that the wealthy subsidise the less well off ,and ive been told to set Budgets and to say that i have no budget for that etc in order to control expenditure

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Howard said:

I wish I could limit the condo numbers...never a phone call...doorbell...someone is here! I don't know what they would do if we were out of town, they come unannounced,  with no money for return trip, no food and expect to stay a week or more...Good point about the onward ticket for family members...That cost is expected also.

I had that happen to me a few months ago. They texted my wife from Sibulan port that they were here. She texted me and said they are in Sibulan but I could not pick them up as I was in Valencia and had had a few beers. She got them to give the trike driver the phone and explained to him where we lived. I told them next time text us before you leave Dalaguete on Cebu as we might not be here and you will be stuck in Sibulan with no money and no way to get home. But this has only happened once in 8 years. Yes, we paid for everything.

• Like 1

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
52 minutes ago, bastonjock said:

ive been told to set Budgets and to say that i have no budget for that etc in order to control expenditure

My wife routinely uses, "We don't have budget." They seem to accept that.

• Like 2

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, JDDavao said:

My wife routinely uses, "We don't have budget." They seem to accept that.

Maybe it's a Davao thing JD ?

I left davao yesterday ,now back in the uk

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
56 minutes ago, bastonjock said:

Maybe it's a Davao thing JD ?

Could be. Could be they know they can't wrangle anything out of her after she's said that. :smile:

I left davao yesterday ,now back in the uk

Enjoy the rain, mate! :cheersty:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Kuya John
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, JDDavao said:

Enjoy the rain, mate! :cheersty:

That's spot on.....some parts of Lincolnshire have had two months rain in two days with floods in many places! :thumbsup:

Welcome home bastonjock :smile:

Edited by Kuya John

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Kuya John said:

That's spot on.....some parts of Lincolnshire have had two months rain in two days with floods in many places! :thumbsup:

Welcome home bastonjock :smile:

Ive been told about the rain , im off to check my RV which is parked in Lincolnshire tonight 

It did rain in davao a couple of times but  not as bad as linciolnshire lol

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, bastonjock said:

It did rain in davao a couple of times but  not as bad as linciolnshire lol

I hear you guys had a stellar summer last year with sun every day. Like Seattle, you pay for it. We used to always pronounce June as "Junuary". Hope the RV isn't a yacht now... :shock_40_anim_gif:

• Like 1