Paying for Meal

bigdaddyo
Posted
Posted

I have seen this behavior with Filipinos, however not in my wife’s family.  She comes from what I would consider a middle class family, and there are a few members that are very wealthy, and others that are on the lower economic scale.  Most are professionals, or work in middle/lower management for multi-corporations.  

I’ve never had to come out of my pocket for these dinners or celebrations.  Of course, my wife has made a dish or two, or we have pooled equal amounts of money with family at these events.  At one dinner, I snuck to the cashier and paid the bill.  I was admonished by my wife when we got home.  One of the wealthy members of her family intended to pay for it.  After being thanked for paying for it, I was told that I was never to do that again.  It was almost like I insulted him for paying for the meal.  Ive been invited to visit his luxury resort, and I’m staying for free there.  He has informed me that all transportation from the airport will be provided, and I am to pay for nothing.  

Guess I should thank my lucky stars that I don’t have to pull out my wallet with my wife’s family.  Or maybe you guys are just hanging out with the wrong type of Filipinos.:Happy:

• Like 4
  • Love it 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, bigdaddyo said:

I have seen this behavior with Filipinos, however not in my wife’s family.  She comes from what I would consider a middle class family, and there are a few members that are very wealthy, and others that are on the lower economic scale.  Most are professionals, or work in middle/lower management for multi-corporations.  

I’ve never had to come out of my pocket for these dinners or celebrations.  Of course, my wife has made a dish or two, or we have pooled equal amounts of money with family at these events.  At one dinner, I snuck to the cashier and paid the bill.  I was admonished by my wife when we got home.  One of the wealthy members of her family intended to pay for it.  After being thanked for paying for it, I was told that I was never to do that again.  It was almost like I insulted him for paying for the meal.  Ive been invited to visit his luxury resort, and I’m staying for free there.  He has informed me that all transportation from the airport will be provided, and I am to pay for nothing.  

Guess I should thank my lucky stars that I don’t have to pull out my wallet with my wife’s family.  Or maybe you guys are just hanging out with the wrong type of Filipinos.:Happy:

When I was caught it was by a restaurant full of the wife's university batch mates, more than a few professionals there that night.

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, bigdaddyo said:

I should also count my lucky stars, since my Filipino family also treated me to meals in the Philippines.

Plus, my Filipino family has always loaned money to me whenever I hit a rough patch. :tiphat:

• Like 4
  • Hmm thinking 1

Mark57
Posted
Posted

Neng says if it your idea for a get together and you invite people you will be the one to pay.   Pinoy or expat. If you don"t want to pay don't initiate the event.   

• Like 5

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Mark57 said:

Neng says if it your idea for a get together and you invite people you will be the one to pay.   Pinoy or expat. If you don"t want to pay don't initiate the event.   

Mark 57, in the main for families and not so close Friend ( Expats) I will agree but where Friendship is a lot Stronger then I think we would discuss payments before anything :wink:

• Like 4

Mark57
Posted
Posted
Just now, Jack Peterson said:

Mark 57, in the main for families and not so close Friend ( Expats) I will agree but where Friendship is a lot Stronger then I think we would discuss payments before anything :wink:

she said that too - If It is close friends they will probably pay their own way or work it out before 

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
37 minutes ago, Mark57 said:

Neng says if it your idea for a get together and you invite people you will be the one to pay.

My mother says the same thing and she is a Brit turned Canadian so I believe it is an old school courtesy that the "me" generation have forgotten.

• 2 weeks later...
AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
On 6/22/2019 at 10:58 AM, Dave Hounddriver said:

My mother says the same thing and she is a Brit turned Canadian so I believe it is an old school courtesy that the "me" generation have forgotten.

Thanks Dave, I will bring an invoice for you next Dumaguete Monthly Meetup Event - as you are the one who originally invited me and it seems to have slipped your mind to pay..... :SugarwareZ-005::56da64b64cbd8_36_6_31::chickendance:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, AlwaysRt said:

Thanks Dave, I will bring an invoice for you next Dumaguete Monthly Meetup Event - as you are the one who originally invited me and it seems to have slipped your mind to pay.

I wonder where that 50 pesos went.  Seems to me you never showed when I originally invited you so I left 50 pesos on the table for your beer in case you showed up after I left. :7481:

• Haha 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted

Just my opinion, but I think it's unreasonable to expect whoever organised the event to pay for it as well.  Surely this would only apply in certain situations i.e. amongst close family?  I cannot imagine this is the norm in the UK, at least it wasn't amongst my circle of friends.  Then again, we were all Scots so maybe that explains it!  :2245_safe: