Electricity and The A/C unit

intrepid
Posted
Posted
On 6/17/2019 at 7:00 PM, jimeve said:

We bought our own cable and poles, noreco connected the cable to our transformer and to the house. Not sure if that's the problem with our A/C. I checked the A/C power and it was drawing 12,000 KWA.

For a 1 HP UNIT that is too much, the salesperson who I bought it from said it should draw 1,000 KWH which I think is still too much.

I had the filters cleaned and the compressor cleaned by the professionals LOL. They said it's been over used. It's only 15 months old.

1hp = 746 watts

jimeve
Posted
Posted
59 minutes ago, intrepid said:

1hp = 746 watts

I know. The mystery is why mine is using 12,000 kwh? had the filters cleaned and the unit checked over. The local maintenance man said it could be the motor! I have seen how they troubleshoot here, they keep replacing things until it runs properly.:571c66d400c8c_1(103):

• Haha 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, jimeve said:

The mystery is why mine is using 12,000 kwh?

I run 2 air cons, at separate times,  Both are 1 hp split units.  Each uses 6 Kwh in a 12 hour period, so in 24 hours they use a total of 12 Kwh and cost me (12 x 11.5 =) 138 pesos a day to run (One or the other is always on, 24/7)

So they use an average of 500 watts per hour and they use 12 Kw per 24 hours.

Your number of 12,000 Kwh is astronomical.  My entire house uses about 500 to 600 Kwh in a month.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

Just a thought... someone hasn't tapped into your power line for free power have they?

• Hmm thinking 2

RBM
Posted
Posted

And so it goes on. 13 month old 1HP inverter unit. Had installer come up for cleaning unit at 12 months. They just sent Cowboys whom broke it, blamed us as expected. Some how they burnt out mother board, now been arguing with small  shop that installed it to repair. Currently it's a merry go around.....suspect they no funds for mother board.

It's all part of living here....Been watching some you tube videos as I tend to clean our second unit myself, looks quite simple.

• Like 3

jimeve
Posted
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I run 2 air cons, at separate times,  Both are 1 hp split units.  Each uses 6 Kwh in a 12 hour period, so in 24 hours they use a total of 12 Kwh and cost me (12 x 11.5 =) 138 pesos a day to run (One or the other is always on, 24/7)

So they use an average of 500 watts per hour and they use 12 Kw per 24 hours.

Your number of 12,000 Kwh is astronomical.  My entire house uses about 500 to 600 Kwh in a month.

My mistake getting KW and watts mixed up. lol. Should have put 1.2 Kwh

Edited by jimeve
  • Like 3

jimeve
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, GeoffH said:

Just a thought... someone hasn't tapped into your power line for free power have they?

No, not possible. I know it's the A/C unit using to much power. It's a sub meter going into my tenants house. He's back in ozz and the meter has hardly read anything.

• Hmm thinking 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, earthdome said:

Now you know why filipino's go around unplugging things all the time. Most homes don't have proper grounds which increases the chance of electrical/electronic equipment getting damaged from an electrical storm.

11 years ago a lighting strike wiped out both of my box type tv's I unplug now during a storm even though I have the surge protectors. Lesson learned the hard way!:bonk:

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
On 6/17/2019 at 12:00 PM, jimeve said:

For a 1 HP UNIT that is too much, the salesperson who I bought it from said it should draw 1,000 KWH which I think is still too much.

I had the filters cleaned and the compressor cleaned by the professionals LOL. They said it's been over used. It's only 15 months old.

Ive had a look at the gfs aircon ,the split unit intake is clogged up and its only 9 months old

Ill take some stuffback with me next visit to clean outthe unit , clogged filters make your motor work harder

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
27 minutes ago, bastonjock said:

Ive had a look at the gfs aircon ,the split unit intake is clogged up and its only 9 months old

The only thing I know about cleaning aircons is hiring a guy to do it every 3 to 4 months.  In 9 months it would be filthy. 

Is the part you are talking about something they would clean in the routine maintenance?  It really does need to be done 3 or 4 times a year in this country.  Loads of dust and crap clogging the filters.  The ease to get at one inside the house needs to be cleaned about once a month.  When you go to a hotel, check it.  They rely on the guests to clean them I think :571c66d400c8c_1(103): or else you will be wondering why it is so friggin hot in the room.

• Like 3