Dumaguete Internet

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, hk blues said:

That's what I imagined - even with only 12 mbps it's fast enough for what I need so I cannot imagine what 200 mbps is like

The things that I downloaded at 7 mpbs took almost an hour, but now the same things take seconds to download.  Similarly, my uploads (such as the ones I do to make Youtubes) take seconds instead of almost an hour.

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

I had 10mbps in the Philippines and 100 in Australia and the difference felt huge, 300 would be nice :)

I recently dropped my Australia speed from 100 to 25 and I’m going to boost my Philippines speed from 10 to 30.  I’m hoping the faster upload at the Philippines end will improve video links between the two countries for me.

• Like 2

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

improve video links between the two countries for me.

I hope that it will work out for you.  Right now, my Filipino family sees my wife and me in HD, but we see them in los-res with lots of buffering.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
19 minutes ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

I hope that it will work out for you.  Right now, my Filipino family sees my wife and me in HD, but we see them in los-res with lots of buffering.

Yes that is pretty much the same as what we see. 

The 10mbps plan in the philippines only has 1mb upload and it's upload that constrains the video quality being sent (well also the quality of the link between the 2 sites but I can't do anything about that).

It is my hope that by going to the 30mbps plan (which has 5 mbps upload instead of 1 mpbs) I can improve the quality of the video sent from the philippines.

My Australia connection has gone from 100/40mbps to 25/5mbps but 5 mbps is easily enough for full HD.

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

The things that I downloaded at 7 mpbs took almost an hour, but now the same things take seconds to download.  Similarly, my uploads (such as the ones I do to make Youtubes) take seconds instead of almost an hour.

7x60x60 = 25,200 megs

Yikes, that is about 25 gigs of data.  Multiple movies?

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Mike J said:

Multiple movies?

Nah, not multiple movies, but lots of other things like software downloads. The upgraded speed has the best benefit for me with making Youtubes.  I like making them and sharing them with family and friends, including this forum (but I keep them 'unlisted').

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted

I'm not highly technical, but my upload speed seems to be behaving faster than what is shown on speednet.

3.JPG

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)

Speedtest can be effected by what servers are chosen and the limitations of the servers and the links between you and the testing server.

You could try Google Speed test as a comparison?  Just open a Google search tab and search for speed test.  It's actually run by Measurment Lab in the US (Google and Princeton).

Capture.JPG

Edited by GeoffH
  • Thanks 2

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted
31 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

Just open a Google search tab and search for speed test.  It's actually run by Measurment Lab in the US (Google and Princeton).

upload.JPG

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

upload.JPG

That seems fairly similar to your first test, maybe your uploads are compressible files?  

If the files you're uploading are uncompressed then some ISPs will automatically compress them and then you the original file appears to be transferring quicker than it actually is but what's happening is a file is being shrunk then sent then un shrunk at the other end. 

The Speed test sites measure the speed of an uncompressed file transfer where as your local speed indicator can show (depending upon the file type) the speed at which the uncompressed file is being transferred.

• Thanks 1