Dumaguete Internet

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

If the files you're uploading are uncompressed then some ISPs will automatically compress them and then you the original file appears to be transferring quicker than it actually is but what's happening is a file is being shrunk then sent then un shrunk at the other end. 

Thanks for this!  It really helps me understand why my uploads seem to be so fast (even though I don't really have a very high upload speed).

• Like 1

OzeMike
Posted
Posted (edited)

We thought about 10Mbps which is even dearer at P3, 999:56da64a2558f6_3_8_141: but we only need 7Mbps for HD sreaming and as it's only me watching sports streaming from Oz (via VPN) and we like to watch Netflix/YouTube,  it's enough.

We don't have a teenageer in their bedroom watching YouTube and downloading music, if we did we'd need 10-20Mbps at least! 

Yes Airlink is expensive I agree but where we are in Talay we can't get a Globe or PLDT slot for any of their services so having to use Globe At Home prepaid (air link) modem most times running at 2.7Mbps only... so a lot of buffering and it is a hungry beast if I live stream or watch Netflix:56da64a571a25_7_4_171: costing up to 3k a month some times...so P3,499 for a microwave transreceiver on the roof giving us 7Mbps on a dedicated air link (which is ON all the time) is good in our situation with my streaming needs. 

Next time we move will be looking for a great internet connection first! 

Edited by OzeMike
Correction
  • Like 5

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
28 minutes ago, OzeMike said:

Next time we move will be looking for a great internet connection first! 

:AddEmoticons04230:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
OzeMike
Posted
Posted

The Airlink Internet Services poles are too large and heavy for our place and we couldn't find a suitable alternative anchoring so it was a no go.

We are now trying for a PLDT Unli Fibr connection. Fingers crossed:89:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
OzeMike
Posted
Posted

PLDT brought the fibre cable up my house yesterday....connected to a small box on our post that brings the electricity in.  A different PLDT crew will come to connect from this to the modem.... high speed is getting closer! :cheersty:

• Like 4

OzeMike
Posted
Posted (edited)

So near yet so far...... :bonk:

PLDT Fibre cable attached to our property last Tues... we were told a different team would come and connect into the house and connect the modem later that week.  Hooray! 

Saturday morning I get a call on my way back home from dropping Cel at her work...."Sir Michael? Sir this is PLDT" after giving them directions to our place I dash home full of elation... 20Mbs of live sports streaming at last!  no more buffering ....happy days are here :dance:

They are waiting for me as I arrive at our house.... "Sorry Sir we are not the ones to install the modem" "But why did you call me? You had my name on your list" "Sorry Sir there has been a mistake we have to go to another address..another team will come maybe tomorrow or the next day to connect your modem"

So near yet so far.... :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

No call yet today.... 

Anyone had this experience with PLDT.... two teams to install the Fibre and the modem....with delays getting it finished?

Edited by OzeMike

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, OzeMike said:

They are waiting for me as I arrive at our house.... "Sorry Sir we are not the ones to install the modem" "But why did you call me? You had my name on your list" "Sorry Sir there has been a mistake we have to go to another address..another team will come maybe tomorrow or the next day to connect your modem"

For a while Sir... How many times have I heard that? Almost as many times as, "Sorry Sir...out of stock!"

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OzeMike said:

Anyone had this experience with PLDT.... two teams to install the Fibre and the modem....with delays getting it finished?

When my Globe was installed (not fiber) there was one team to do the cabling from the box to the house and a 2nd team to install the modem.  However, they were there at the same time so no problem.  

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, hk blues said:

When my Globe was installed (not fiber) there was one team to do the cabling from the box to the house and a 2nd team to install the modem.  However, they were there at the same time so no problem.  

PLDT use a Contractor for Cabling and Direct employees or A contractor with a dedicated PC Knowledge man to do the Modem work. Should the Modem go down it is that part of the set up that will call to fix. 

Such is what my man tells me @OzeMike you are on the same team circuit as me

Edited by Jack Peterson
added a small piece
  • Like 2

OzeMike
Posted
Posted

Thanks Jack that explains the two teams. Just hope the modem guy(s) comes soon. In the west I used the squeaky wheel gets the quickest oil approach :56da64a2558f6_3_8_141: but Cel says it produces resentment here if a foreigner keeps asking... they see it as a form of harrassment almost.... and we should learn patience :56da64b24b45d_36_1_501:

• Like 1