Filipino?... Taglish?... or Code-Switching?

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted

I just found a chart that breakdowns all of the different languages that are found in what is known as Tagalog... or can it actually still be called Tagalog?... since it's not a pure language?... maybe calling it Filipino is the most correct name for the language?

tag.JPG

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

Aztec 10%?  Now that I didn't expect... is that via the Spanish?

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

Aztec 10%?  Now that I didn't expect... is that via the Spanish?

It's more likely to be from the Mexicans during the Manila-Acapulco galleon trade. 

• Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

It's more likely to be from the Mexicans during the Manila-Acapulco galleon trade. 

Although under Spanish rule the Philippines was administered from Mexico.

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Gary D said:

Although under Spanish rule the Philippines was administered from Mexico.

They intoduced Mexican Spanish to the Philippines, which is infused with some Aztec language.... definitetly part of the same Mexican - Philippines connection.

Edited by Mark Berkowitz
spelling

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted (edited)

As far as speaking Tagalog, I am speaking more of it now in the US than I did when I was back in the Philippines. 

When I ask my wife,  "what time is it?'," I'll be saying "anong oras na?"

When she says, is dinner ready"... and it's it's not quite ready yet, I'll say "hindi pa."

At a Fil-Am's house, I will say "Kamusta," "Masarap," "Salamat na lang," Maraming Salamat," etc.

Since I am still mixing up Tagalog (or Filipino) with English, I guess that I'm code-swtiching.

It just seems so much easier for me to do this now that I'm not in the Philipppines than it did while I was still in the Philippines, so I'm beginning to think of the possible reasons as to why, such as:

• Am I more relaxed now, and less stressed about learning the Filipino language?
  • Am I trying to to make my wife and Fil-Am friends feel more comfortable?
  • Am I getting more help by watching Fililipino TV on the Filipino Channel (TFC) with it's English subtitles?
  • Or, have I been learning Tagalog all along while I was still in the Philippines, but now I'm less shy about using it without the fear of being ctiticized or misunderstood by the locals?

The funny thing is that my wife doesn't remember me trying to use Tagalog back in the Phils, but I actually did a bit of it, not just with her and family, but also when I would go to the Sari Sari to buy a cold bottle of Coke, where I would say:

"Gusto ko ng malamig na Coke," which is not perfect but they would know what I meant.

Edited by Mark Berkowitz