How safe in palawan compared to Koh Samui thailand?

SenorJorge
Posted
Posted

I spent a few weeks in Samui about two years ago.  I've never been to Palawan, and I can't comment on it.  But I will say this about Samui.  It is a beautiful island but there are far, far too many people on it.  The bar girls there are the shadiest I've ever seen in Thailand.  Girls worst than Pattaya.  I guess many of them are Pattaya rejects who tried their luck out on the islands.  With the exception of bad girls, I didn't really pick any bad vibes from the place.  I didn't get the anti-foreigner vibes that I got a LOT in Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket, etc.  I never worried about being pickpocketed.  Would I go back?  Nah.  I'm going to leave Thailand alone now.  Forever.  Onto the Phils and India.  Alright.

• Sad 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

cadoia
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, SenorJorge said:

I spent a few weeks in Samui about two years ago.  I've never been to Palawan, and I can't comment on it.  But I will say this about Samui.  It is a beautiful island but there are far, far too many people on it.  The bar girls there are the shadiest I've ever seen in Thailand.  Girls worst than Pattaya.  I guess many of them are Pattaya rejects who tried their luck out on the islands.  With the exception of bad girls, I didn't really pick any bad vibes from the place.  I didn't get the anti-foreigner vibes that I got a LOT in Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket, etc.  I never worried about being pickpocketed.  Would I go back?  Nah.  I'm going to leave Thailand alone now.  Forever.  Onto the Phils and India.  Alright.

Im not into the bar girls and night life etc. Im married and happy with it. So safety concerns are around possibly wife getting kidnapped etc. 

SenorJorge
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, cadoia said:

Im not into the bar girls and night life etc. Im married and happy with it. So safety concerns are around possibly wife getting kidnapped etc. 

Ive never heard of anyone ever getting kidnapped in Samui.  Palawan, last year I heard murmurings of a kidnapping threat there.  So yeah just based on that alone, I'd say they aren't really comparable.  Palawan looks a hell of a lot nicer than Samui does, in terms of natural beauty.  I must give it that.

• Like 1

cadoia
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, SenorJorge said:

Ive never heard of anyone ever getting kidnapped in Samui.  Palawan, last year I heard murmurings of a kidnapping threat there.  So yeah just based on that alone, I'd say they aren't really comparable.  Palawan looks a hell of a lot nicer than Samui does, in terms of natural beauty.  I must give it that.

Yes I see online that palawan is much more beautiful. but I lived in samui for 10 years and consider it safe. Currently im in Ecuador which is not safe. Im selling my property here to relocate and was considering palawan until I heard about muslim terrorists, beheadings, kidnappings etc. Samui doesn't have all that. So wanted to hear from people living there their own take on all this. 

SenorJorge
Posted
Posted

Cebu is close to lots of stuff and seems super safe and moderately developed.

Right now I'm looking mostly at Cebu and Clark/Angeles.  I'll probably stay in one of the pensioner hotels.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, SenorJorge said:

Cebu is close to lots of stuff and seems super safe and moderately developed.

Moderately developed? are you talking about province areas or the City?

Guy F.
Posted
Posted (edited)

There are Tourist Police on Panglao (Bohol) as well.

There are many previous posts on safety in the PI. Do a search, top right of the page.

Edited by Guy F.

SenorJorge
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Moderately developed? are you talking about province areas or the City?

I compare everything to Bangkok.  For the phils I guess cebu is big big big.  :cheers:

robert k
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, SenorJorge said:

I compare everything to Bangkok.  For the phils I guess cebu is big big big.  :cheers:

There are a few cities of good size 300k-500k people in the Philippines. I believe Cebu is the second largest city in the Philippines but there are cities of reasonable size where you could get most things, scattered around.

SenorJorge
Posted
Posted

Cebu apparently has around 900,000 people.  Bangkok city proper has almost 9 million.  Just crazy.  I miss Thailand and I hate it at the same time.  I think the Philippines will fill that void I have in my life since I left SE Asia.  When I look at cities, I like better, not bigger!

• Like 2