Dual citizenship

stevewool
Posted
Posted

What are the advantages of having dual citizenship for your spouse.

Emma is now a British citizen and I think that’s the best thing that could have happened, We can go where we want and stay as long as we want and so on, but what would happen if we decided to make the Philippines our home full time .

Would Emma have the same rights in the Philippines as a Filipino, is there any members who’s partners have either change the citizenship back to the native one or have gotten the dual citizenship .

Viking
Posted
Posted

If she have dual citizenship, she have the same rights as every other philippino. As a British Citizen she will only be allowed to stay for 1 year as a balikbayan, then she must leave the country. 1  day is enough, after that she can go back for another year. There is also limits on how much land she can own as a balikbayan, depending on the location. I also dont Think she is allowed to work or have any kind of business as a balikbayan but I am not sure about this.

This is something I am also thinking about and I have still not come to a conclusion if it is good or bad for us :89:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted

What would be the downside of having dual British/Filipino citizenship? 

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
14 minutes ago, hk blues said:

What would be the downside of having dual British/Filipino citizenship? 

Probably the only downside would be the bit of hassle to get it.

Good info on some of the consulate websites.  If you can't find your home country consulate website, this Los Angeles consulate website covers it well:

https://www.philippineconsulatela.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/dual-primer.pdf

https://www.philippineconsulatela.org/consular-services-2/dual-citizensh1p-ra-9225

• Thanks 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, stevewool said:

advantages

another advantage is when she reaches the age she can get senior citizen discount, 20% is nothing to sneeze at

• Haha 2

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, stevewool said:

What are the advantages of having dual citizenship

Well it's definitely an advantage for Archie Harrison Mountbatten-Windsor, the son of The Duke and Duchess of Sussex.

"One viral tweet asked: If the royal has children with the American actress, what would their citizenship be? And, following this train of thought to its inevitable conclusion, would it be possible for their kid to be both a U.S. President and in line for the throne?"

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/society/tradition/a13957391/meghan-markle-prince-harry-children-us-british-citizenship/

EDIT:  Since Archie Harrison Mountbatten-Windsor was physically born in the UK, and not the US, he will not be eligible for becoming the President of the US (unless the laws are changed).

Edited by Mark Berkowitz
laws

graham59
Posted
Posted

Go for it, then have maximum rights and opportunities in both countries.   :thumbsup:

(I believe she just needs to pop along to the  Phils embassy in London, and swear an oath and such stuff.... and she's back in the Pinoy fold. :smile: )

• Like 3

Gary D
Posted
Posted

To be a balikbayan she needs to be resident abroad, 1 day out of country is not enough. The regulations state 1 year.

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, stevewool said:

Emma is now a British citizen and I think that’s the best thing that could have happened, We can go where we want and stay as long as we want and so on, but what would happen if we decided to make the Philippines our home full time .

As a dual citizen she would continue to be able to use her British passport or travel but still have 100% of the benefits of a Philippine citizen.  Travel would not be a problem as long as the passport(s) are not expired.  I mention passports being expired because that  happened when my wife attempted to exit the Philippines using her expired Philippine passport.  She then showed them her US passport and was told she was going to be fined for "overstay" as a US citizen.  Fortunately she was carrying the document given her when she regained her Philippine citizenship and was allowed to exit and return using the US passport.  As she was able to prove her dual citizenship, she was allowed to depart using her US passport.

Another important consideration is that you would not be able to apply for a 13A visa (married to a Philippine citizen).  This is the visa that the majority of expats use that have a Philippine spouse.  It is a permanent resident visa and the only requirement is to do your annual report during January or February.  Alternatively you and your spouse could avail the balikbayan privilege if you plan to travel outside the Philippines at least once a year as a couple.  Even then, there is no "downside" to being a dual citizen.

• Hmm thinking 1

Viking
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Gary D said:

To be a balikbayan she needs to be resident abroad, 1 day out of country is not enough. The regulations state 1 year.

I did not know that. My wife has been entering Philippines multiple times a year and she has Always recieved the Balikbayan stamp in her passport.

8 hours ago, Mike J said:

Another important consideration is that you would not be able to apply for a 13A visa (married to a Philippine citizen).  This is the visa that the majority of expats use that have a Philippine spouse.  It is a permanent resident visa and the only requirement is to do your annual report during January or February.  Alternatively you and your spouse could avail the balikbayan privilege if you plan to travel outside the Philippines at least once a year as a couple.  Even then, there is no "downside" to being a dual citizen.

The primary reason why we consider to regain her Philippine citizenship, is that I can get a 13A visa. Do you have any experience of people being married to a pinay that is not Philippino Citizen, doing short "visa runs" out of the country for getting a new year?