Dual citizenship

Gary D
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Viking said:

I did not know that. My wife has been entering Philippines multiple times a year and she has Always recieved the Balikbayan stamp in her passport.

That's because your wife is not resident in the Philippines. All above board. The 1 year stipulation is to stop Philippine residents just popping out for a day and taking advantage of the duty free perks. Not inforced as we all know.

• Like 1

Viking
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, Gary D said:

That's because your wife is not resident in the Philippines. All above board. The 1 year stipulation is to stop Philippine residents just popping out for a day and taking advantage of the duty free perks. Not inforced as we all know.

When do they consider you as a resident in the Philippines?

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Viking said:

The primary reason why we consider to regain her Philippine citizenship, is that I can get a 13A visa. Do you have any experience of people being married to a pinay that is not Philippino Citizen, doing short "visa runs" out of the country for getting a new year?

I have not met any couples where they both use the BB option with visa runs because she has not regained her Philippine citizenship.  In my opinion there is no "downside" to regain Philippine citizenship and become a dual citizen.  It opens multiple options and you lose nothing except a few dollars to get it done.  When my wife gained her US citizenship we started on the process to get back her Philippine citizenship.  In our case she regained it in the USA when the Philippine embassy did an outreach program to Seattle Washington.   Ability to get a 13A is one of those options in addition to others as listed by others.  She would also be able to avail of the Philippine Senior Citizen discounts when she reaches 60 years of age.  This program is only available to Philippine citizens.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, Viking said:

When do they consider you as a resident in the Philippines?

I don't know the exact stipulation but I assume it is where you live most of the year. I believe in the UK it's something like more like 90 days a year to maintain your residency.

• Thanks 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Gary D said:

I don't know the exact stipulation but I assume it is where you live most of the year. I believe in the UK it's something like more like 90 days a year to maintain your residency.

My wife has dual citizenship, she lives now in the Philippines. She can go back to the UK when she wants to and live there. 

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted (edited)

I always thought that it is perfectly OK to be a dual citizen of the Philippines and another country, unless you are trying to get elected to a political office, such as Grace Poe, who had to denounce her US citizenship in order to run for President of the Philippines (in the last election).

Edited by Mark Berkowitz
  • Sad 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

I always thought that it is perfectly OK to be a dual citizen of the Philippines and another country, unless you are trying to get elected to a political office, such as Grace Poe, who had to denounce her US citizenship in order to run for President of the Philippines (in the last election).

I don't think there are many benefits for having dual citizenship. SSS pension being one, can purchase more land, free visa to some asian countries. Can't think of any more. 

• Like 1

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, jimeve said:

I don't think there are many benefits for having dual citizenship. SSS pension being one, can purchase more land, free visa to some asian countries. Can't think of any more. 

Having two Passports seems to be a benefit to me.  If someone, such as my son, who is a dual citizen of both the Phlippines and the USA, enters the USA with his US Passport, there's no need for any visa.  The same goes for him traveling to the Philippines with his Philippines Passport, no visa needed.

graham59
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, jimeve said:

Well us Brits are not the only proud CITIZENS of our home country, where we were born and raised, and most of our family live, I'm sure.

Reason enough ? 

• Like 1
  • I'm Confused 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

It wasn't always ok, it has only been in recent times that the Philippines allowed dual citizenship.

• Thanks 1