Dual citizenship

jimeve
Posted
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Gary D said:

My wife has left the Philippines on her British passport for the last 15+ years never with a problem.

hmmm, don't know why my wife had to use her Filipino passport then! Her British passport was good for another two years..... Mystery.  

Maybe my wife was scammed.

Edited by jimeve

jimeve
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Mike J said:

Was she asked if she is still a Philippine citizen?  Did she have to show proof, either the Philippine passport or certificate that shows she had reacquired her citizenship?

2 hours ago, Mike J said:

Was she asked if she is still a Philippine citizen?  Did she have to show proof, either the Philippine passport or certificate that shows she had reacquired her citizenship?

Just asked her, she said she showed both passports and paid some money. Maybe scammed.  

jimeve
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, graham59 said:

Well if you can't work it out, don't expect to be 'on the same page'  :rolleyes:

Not helpful.

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, jimeve said:

Just asked her, she said she showed both passports and paid some money. Maybe scammed.  

Sounds like they accepted the Philippine passport as proof of Philippine citizenship which allowed her to use the British passport without an overstay as a foreigner.   I think the money paid would be the terminal fee that is required by all travelers.   In addition to the terminal fee, Philippine citizens, or foreigners who have stayed over one year, have to pay a travel tax.  So if she was in the Philippines longer than one year I guess she also had to pay the travel tax?  Probably not a scam but who knows for sure. :89:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, Mike J said:

Perhaps it is related to what passport was used to enter the Philippines. If she entered on her Philippine passport then she has no entry stamp on the foreign passport, hence an overstay situation. But is she entered on her foreign passport then the rules for BB or tourist apply. i.e. the rules depend on which passport is used to enter the country. Though she might be able to enter on a foreign passport but then leave on the PH one.

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, earthdome said:

Perhaps it is related to what passport was used to enter the Philippines. If she entered on her Philippine passport then she has no entry stamp on the foreign passport, hence an overstay situation. But is she entered on her foreign passport then the rules for BB or tourist apply. i.e. the rules depend on which passport is used to enter the country. Though she might be able to enter on a foreign passport but then leave on the PH one.

Could have been, it was 2 years ago and she was traveling alone. No point in crying over spilt milk. Very good point I must say.

Okay just looked at her passports... she used her British passport to enter Ph. Sept 2014....... When she exit the PH on Nov 2016 "BOTH" her passports were stamped.

She forgot how much she paid the immigration  control.

Edited by jimeve
information

Gary D
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, jimeve said:

Could have been, it was 2 years ago and she was traveling alone. No point in crying over spilt milk. Very good point I must say.

Okay just looked at her passports... she used her British passport to enter Ph. Sept 2014....... When she exit the PH on Nov 2016 "BOTH" her passports were stamped.

She forgot how much she paid the immigration  control.

Sounds like your wife entered as a Balikbayan so yes she did overstay.

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted

A bit off-topic but:

The US “allows” triple citizenship. US citizens are not prohibited by the US from having more than one citizenship. They are, however, required to identify themselves as being US citizens to US officials, and to enter the US using a US passport.

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, Gary D said:

Would have been an overstay only if she were not a dual citizen.  My wife was looking at the same issue when she went to leave two years ago.  Her Philippine passport had expired and was no longer valid to show she was a dual citizen.  Fortunately she was carrying a copy of the certificate that was given when she regained her Philippine citizenship.  Thus no overstay because she could still  prove she was a Philippine citizen.

• Hmm thinking 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, Gary D said:

Probably why they stamped her other passport (Pilipinos). 

• I'm Confused 1