Auto-Pilot

PaulB
Posted
Posted

Dear Members

I am amazed how I have adapted to the hazards of the Philippines. I am not talking about Driving or Riding in Tandem executions but rather just walking around! You could hardly say the pavements (if you have any) are safe. When I first used to visit you could guarantee I would stub or break a toe on an uneven piece of concrete, rebar or something else sticking up out of the pavement (For Americans I am referring to the Sidewalk).

I seem to have captured some of Charles Darwin's evolution by being able to now sense such hazards , day or night, even when drunk!!

I have had two broken toes, Bruised ankle, Frozen elbow and damaged hand(from opening bottles with a spoon) but last time I was home (North Luzon) I survived with only a few Mosquito bites and ant bites on the ankles. 

Seems I am morphing, gradually, into a Filipino.

Are you morphing too or have morphed? By the way I would value any tips on how to protect against the ants and mosquitos. I do use lotions but the ants especially seem to be able to hold their breath and bite my ankles and feet. What can I put on my feet or ankles, or on the ground, to keep this buggers (For Americans that means M@@@@@F@@@@@s) away. I won't wear socks or long trousers. I do that every day at work so won't do that when not at work!

Look forward to your tips.

Paul

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
54 minutes ago, PaulB said:

Dear Members

I am amazed how I have adapted to the hazards of the Philippines. I am not talking about Driving or Riding in Tandem executions but rather just walking around! You could hardly say the pavements (if you have any) are safe. When I first used to visit you could guarantee I would stub or break a toe on an uneven piece of concrete, rebar or something else sticking up out of the pavement (For Americans I am referring to the Sidewalk).

I seem to have captured some of Charles Darwin's evolution by being able to now sense such hazards , day or night, even when drunk!!

I have had two broken toes, Bruised ankle, Frozen elbow and damaged hand(from opening bottles with a spoon) but last time I was home (North Luzon) I survived with only a few Mosquito bites and ant bites on the ankles. 

Seems I am morphing, gradually, into a Filipino.

Are you morphing too or have morphed? By the way I would value any tips on how to protect against the ants and mosquitos. I do use lotions but the ants especially seem to be able to hold their breath and bite my ankles and feet. What can I put on my feet or ankles, or on the ground, to keep this buggers (For Americans that means M@@@@@F@@@@@s) away. I won't wear socks or long trousers. I do that every day at work so won't do that when not at work!

Look forward to your tips.

Paul

Burning one of those coils does help but only if you are sitting where you can light one.  Other than that, i use Off Lotion which is better than nothing but not entirely effective

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, PaulB said:

Are you morphing too or have morphed?

Yes, indeed!... since I'm still only wearing flip-flops on my feet (and not socks and shoes), even though I've moved back to the USA.

13 hours ago, hk blues said:

By the way I would value any tips on how to protect against the ants and mosquitos.

Vicks VapoRub will definitely help with the pain of the ant bites.

vicks.JPG

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I do use lotions but the ants especially seem to be able to hold their breath and bite my ankles and feet. What can I put on my feet or ankles, or on the ground, to keep this buggers (For Americans that means M@@@@@F@@@@@s) away.

When I walk on our grass I always get bit by something on the ankles and calves, but I really don't see anything.  An old buddy use dto called those "no-see-ums"!  I'm sure they are not ants.  Off works for me.