"How You Gonna Keep 'Em Down On The Farm"

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted

OR should it be "how do you keep them back in the Barangay after they’ve seen the West?"

I can’t speak for all Pinoys (and Pinays), but I get the feeling that most of them will prefer to stay in a Western country (and not return to live in the Philippines).  I base that on speaking to all of the Fil-Americans that I’ve met over the years in the US.

And it just reminds me too much of the old 1919 song about Americans (Yanks) during WWI, who could not adjust to living back on the farm after seeing Paris. In reality, many of the returning Yanks moved to the cities of the US, since they could not re-adjust to living on the farm.

How ya gonna keep 'em down on the farm
After they've seen Paree'
How ya gonna keep 'em away from Broadway
Jazzin around and paintin' the town
How ya gonna keep 'em away from harm, that's a mystery
Imagine Reuben when he meets his Pa
He'll pinch his cheek and holler "OO-LA-LA!
How ya gonna keep 'em down on the farm
After they've seen Paree'?

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

I get the feeling that most of them will prefer to stay in a Western country (and not return to live in the Philippines).  I base that on speaking to all of the Fil-Americans that I’ve met over the years in the US.

I get the opposite feeling, based on speaking to all of the Filipinas I have met who have gone to the US with some guy and moved back to the Philippines because its more fun here. 

I guess its all in who you ask.

• Like 4

Kuya John
Posted
Posted (edited)

Most Filipino's I have contact with always speak of returning home and indeed quite a few have already purchase houses for their retirement back to Philippines.

But by the time they are ready to make that move most of them will have health issues if not already.

High Blood Pressure, Diabetes being the most common form of illness with Filipino's.

That presents a whole new ball game, with some who have already realized where they are better off, that is as long as we have the NHS in UK...just my two cents.

Edited by Kuya John
  • Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
Just now, Kuya John said:

just my two cents.

JB I will match you and make it 4 cents :smile:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Kuya John
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Jack Peterson said:

JB I will match you and make it 4 cents :smile:

I can remember when there was 240 pennies to the Pound. :thumbsup:

• Haha 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
Just now, Kuya John said:

I can remember when there was 240 pennies to the Pound. :thumbsup:

With that I will say;

Good nigh 2 ronnies.jpg

• Love it 1

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I guess its all in who you ask.

Those might be the Filipinas that my wife speaks to, who are married to very old guys (in their late 70's and 80's), who expect their Filipina wives to work 12 hours a day, then come home and cook and clean.  

I guess that the experience of Pinays and Pinoys in the West will vary, depending on who you ask (as you've said).

Kuya John
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

who are married to very old guys (in their late 70's and 80's),

I resemble that remark.......and still doing the housework, you can't expect your wife to work 12 hour days then come home and cook dinner!..........I'd be far too hungry to wait that long. :tiphat:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Kuya John said:

I resemble that remark.......and still doing the housework, you can't expect your wife to work 12 hour days then come home and cook dinner!..........I'd be far too hungry to wait that long. :tiphat:

You are a decent gent!  I am as well, but I'm only 65, and I do the cleaning, cooking, shopping, laundry, driving, etc.  I hope to live a long life where I will continue to be just as (or even more) helpful to my wife as I grow older. :smile:

• Thanks 2

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted

Plus, my wife and her friends that have helpful husbands have no desire (after 20 years in some cases) to ever return to the Philippines.  They claim (and rightfully so) that it's much easier to get a job over here, regardless of your age or looks.

I also have neighbors and friends over here from the Philippines that have lived here for 30 years or more, who never want to live in the Philippines again, since they enjoy living in a 1st world country with more opportunites and benefits.  I met my wife through one of Fil-Am friends, but that's a story for another time (and maybe another place).