Coping with Philippine Culture - Staring

Eddie1
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

I waved at one once and the fool waved back! Made me laugh again...

Tommy T, I have read all your comments in this thread and to be honest you seem like a decent guy........ but the quote above doesn't seem very nice in my humble opinion.    So big deal, the workers put down their tools and looked at you and your missus.  You waved ( I assume sarcastically, hence your comment) and he was gracious enough to wave back to you.  I think in that instance he turned out to be the more polite and well mannered out of the two of you.  Also, just a small thing that I find goes a long way here, learn some local language, (probably Cebuano in Davao, just guessing as I haven't been there)  I have struggled to put a reasonable amount of Bisayan/Cebuano together and believe me, the locals in my area really do appreciate that small bit of effort. 

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

Hi Tom

Ive just returned to the UK , from Davao  ,im 6ft 1 tall, with hazel coloured eyes , i try to be friendly to the philipinos , when they say good morning ,i reply with Mayung boontai ( visayan )

Ive only had one hey joe and it was from smiling kids 

Dont know if you are aware ,but theres a bunch of friendly expats meet every Tuesday at momma julies in Toril

If you still have your boat and need some crew  ,let me know when im back in davao

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

Hi Eddie1. Thank you for your comment. I get your point. I may not exactly agree with some of your words, but it is good to hear them anyway and I appreciate your opinion. Actually both of us in the pool that day felt uncomfortable after being watched for 10-15 minutes. I guess I was running out of patience and that's why I waved... And you are maybe right that this was not the best thing to do. But the worker did keep smiling so, hopefully, he did not get any bad vibes from this. We shortly got out of the pool because our personal moment just did not feel so private any more.

You are also absolutely right about language. I really struggle with Visayan (or Cebuano) but understand a little and can speak even less. But I try my best. I have traveled a lot over the years and well know that just saying hi, or how are you, or whatever, in the local language goes a long way toward making friends. However, personally, I find the local languages challenging even as I work at using them. I understand several other languages - all European - and bits of other island languages. Interestingly, I can swear in Fijian and Samoan... the locals delighted in teaching me some of that! Maybe it's my old age, but nowadays I find it so difficult to pick up yet one more language. I know I rely almost totally on my partner to translate...

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hi bastonjock. Yeah... I always say hello in Visayan, but I say maayong buntag! I assume you had a typo? I get some of hey joes from kids - I don't mind those - and from teens - when I am riding my motorcycle. I don't ride it much any more because I feel it is too scary and dangerous. Like I wrote before, mostly I ignore the teens, but sometimes smile at the kids.

>Dont know if you are aware ,but theres a bunch of friendly expats meet every Tuesday at momma julies in Tori<

(Sorry for not quoting that the correct way - I am still trying to learn how to use this forum site)

lNo, I didn't know about the Tuesday expat group. I will see about trying to attend some time - salamat! If I look up that place on Google Maps, will it display accurately?

Sorry... I sold the yacht last year to a really nice guy from Taiwan. I am happy to be done with it and pleased that she went to a new owner who will take good care of her and enjoy sailing her too... 

Edited by Tommy T.
Add more comment.
  • Like 1

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Hi bastonjock. Yeah... I always say hello in Visayan, but I say maayong buntag! I assume you had a typo? I get some of hey joes from kids - I don't mind those - and from teens - when I am riding my motorcycle. I don't ride it much any more because I feel it is too scary and dangerous. Like I wrote before, mostly I ignore the teens, but sometimes smile at the kids.

>Dont know if you are aware ,but theres a bunch of friendly expats meet every Tuesday at momma julies in Tori<

(Sorry for not quoting that the correct way - I am still trying to learn how to use this forum site)

lNo, I didn't know about the Tuesday expat group. I will see about trying to attend some time - salamat! If I look up that place on Google Maps, will it display accurately?

Sorry... I sold the yacht last year to a really nice guy from Taiwan. I am happy to be done with it and pleased that she went to a new owner who will take good care of her and enjoy sailing her too... 

pity about the yacht tommy , ah well I guess ill have to hope that a cheap one comes up for sale (when I can afford it )

which part of davao do you live in ? I stay with my gf at Catalunan Grande , im also having a go at pig farming up in the mountain above Toril , I find the local language a real tough one , I try to say a few words in visayan  , I can swear in most European languges lol

im back in the UK , im working on selling my RV , I sold my last boat about 6 years ago , the rough plan at the moment is to sell the RV and return to davao for a longer trip about 6 months , ill be splitting my time between davao and England as I can earn a few quid doing contract work here and don't want to dip into my pension pot just yet .

I also like motorcycles , I am toying with the idea of buying a 250 honda dirt bike and doing a bit of exploration , I don't fancy the main roads much , ive seen three dead kids as a result of accidents in my past two visits and that recent one where 7 got killed because a trucks brakes failed did not inspire confidence either

Kuya M
Posted
Posted

Coping with Philippine Culture - Staring

I'd wear a pair of these... staring by locals will stop as soon as they fall into a trance :hystery: 

sun glasses 1.JPG

glasses 2.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

Hahaha! Great idea! But maybe I would look a bit more foolish than usual in those?

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
35 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Hahaha! Great idea! But maybe I would look a bit more foolish than usual in those?

So do the Local Tom but it seems to work for them 

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

It's okay... after all this discussion and hearing some wonderful feedback, I will really try to chill more. Actually, my partner and I will both work at that. I do appreciate this forum - it is a bit therapeutic since I have few es-pat friends here...

• Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, bastonjock said:

pity about the yacht tommy , ah well I guess ill have to hope that a cheap one comes up for sale (when I can afford it )

which part of davao do you live in ? I stay with my gf at Catalunan Grande , im also having a go at pig farming up in the mountain above Toril , I find the local language a real tough one , I try to say a few words in visayan  , I can swear in most European languges lol

im back in the UK , im working on selling my RV , I sold my last boat about 6 years ago , the rough plan at the moment is to sell the RV and return to davao for a longer trip about 6 months , ill be splitting my time between davao and England as I can earn a few quid doing contract work here and don't want to dip into my pension pot just yet .

I also like motorcycles , I am toying with the idea of buying a 250 honda dirt bike and doing a bit of exploration , I don't fancy the main roads much , ive seen three dead kids as a result of accidents in my past two visits and that recent one where 7 got killed because a trucks brakes failed did not inspire confidence either

Hi bastonjock.

Currently, I live in Ecoland, but hope to build a new home on the other side of Mintal from the city...we'll see if that really happens...

I speak close to fluent German and can swear prolifically in German, Spanish, French, Fijian, Samoan and even Australian(!)

Yeah... I have a motorcycle here in Davao City, but already had two crashes - I won't bore you with the details, just suffice it to say that the one Filipino on his bike was an idiot and the Filipino jeepney driver was just doing what they do best - causing mayem on the roads with sudden turns and swerves without warning and I happened to get in the way. Now, whenever I ride or drive my car, I always look around and think about everything and everyone around me, "What is the absolutely stupidist thing they can do?" and let my imagination run wild. Maybe 50% of the time, somebody rewards that by doing exactly that or worse! And I always laugh when I pass one of the road signs that states severely, "Obey Traffic Laws." 

Can you tell me the time and exact place of that weekly meet-up in Toril you mentioned to me before? It is a bit of a drive (I use my car almost exclusively now) and if it is after dark, I may not be too interested.

Thanks.