What suits you

• 3 months later...
Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted

Anyone experimented with tinted concrete, or epoxy floors?  

Gary D
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, Marvin Boggs said:

Anyone experimented with tinted concrete, or epoxy floors?  

Tinted floors are more the norm out in the provinces apart from the bathroom, only rich foreigners have tiled floors. When the floor is layed and still wet a powder is sprinkled on the surface, usually red, and then once dry polished with a floor wax. Mind you the family's original house didn't even have concreted floors when I first visited.

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted

That explains the red tint in our family's house then.  I figured it was just paint.  Have seen some really nice architectural effects, just don't know much about doing it.  I'm leaning toward one of these methods (concrete or epoxy coat) when we build.  I may get talked into tile or vinyl flooring though.  

• Like 1

virginprune
Posted
Posted (edited)

We went for tiles, if not in direct sunlight they should not get warm, mine are definitively cool on the feet. Ours are wood plank effect which suits the exposed brick walls we opted for.

On our verandah we used the red dye in cement, it's ok but in the future we will tile that also.

1569423719646-227892452.jpg

Edited by virginprune
Sorting predictive text that thinks it knows better than me even though the word it chooses is so obviously incorrect
  • Like 2

Gary D
Posted
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Marvin Boggs said:

That explains the red tint in our family's house then.  I figured it was just paint.  Have seen some really nice architectural effects, just don't know much about doing it.  I'm leaning toward one of these methods (concrete or epoxy coat) when we build.  I may get talked into tile or vinyl flooring though.  

The vinyl tends to be very low quality and gets ragged very quickly.

Edited by Gary D

RobH
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, virginprune said:

We went for tiles, if not in direct sunlight they should not get warm, mine are definitively cool on the feet. Ours are wood plank effect which suits the exposed brick walls we opted for.

we have the same tiles, I thought they were wood when I first saw them, nice. Whilst talking about tiles has anyone noticed that there are no edge tiles here, with the small radius. all the tiles in the house have sharp edges.looks bloody awful when it gets to the edge.

virginprune
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, RobH said:

we have the same tiles, I thought they were wood when I first saw them, nice. Whilst talking about tiles has anyone noticed that there are no edge tiles here, with the small radius. all the tiles in the house have sharp edges.looks bloody awful when it gets to the edge.

We used these edging strips, available in citi hardware.

1569453069906-1569235089.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

RobH
Posted
Posted

Thats OK for the floor. I was thinking about the bathroom we have tiled surrounds to the hand basin fine till you get to the edge, then you get the raw tile colour, and a sharp edge.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
27 minutes ago, RobH said:

I was thinking about the bathroom we have tiled surrounds

This is what we did

bath.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love it 1