What suits you

hk blues
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, Marvin Boggs said:

Anyone experimented with tinted concrete, or epoxy floors?  

It's something I've thought about having seen it done on some home renovation shows but my concern would be finding someone capable of doing the job to a good standard i.e. domestic quality rather than industrial quality.  

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted

Maybe off topic or not. Early 70's the floors were cement and dyed red. Had fun watching them put polish on the floor and then polish it in a back and forth movement with their feet on top of a coconut half. :tongue:

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, RobH said:

Thats OK for the floor. I was thinking about the bathroom we have tiled surrounds to the hand basin fine till you get to the edge, then you get the raw tile colour, and a sharp edge.

They make what they call "Tile Edging".  Comes in multiple colors of vinyl and also metal if you need a strong edge.  Sold at most hardware stores.

image.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Arizona Kid said:

Maybe off topic or not. Early 70's the floors were cement and dyed red. Had fun watching them put polish on the floor and then polish it in a back and forth movement with their feet on top of a coconut half. :tongue:

The ones I've seen on TV were black based with kinda smoke-like swirls for pattern - very impressive if done well.

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Mike J said:

They make what they call "Tile Edging".  Comes in multiple colors of vinyl and also metal if you need a strong edge.  Sold at most hardware stores.

Way cool! I just asked our contractor about tile edges and she described this product to me. I will look into it - anything is better than those sharp-cut tile edges!

hk blues
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Way cool! I just asked our contractor about tile edges and she described this product to me. I will look into it - anything is better than those sharp-cut tile edges!

They do look better with the edging strip but beware that there are varying qualities and the cheaper ones will fade very quickly and they are impossible to replace so make sure you spend that little more on the best quality strips

• Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, hk blues said:

They do look better with the edging strip but beware that there are varying qualities and the cheaper ones will fade very quickly and they are impossible to replace so make sure you spend that little more on the best quality strips

That sounds like a wonderful idea! And I will look into that for our tiles.... Great advice, HK... salamat ka aya!

Gary D
Posted
Posted
46 minutes ago, hk blues said:

We tiled our bathroom and kitchen the best part of 20 years ago, I don't know if they have faded or not. I guess pick a colour that doesn't notice, ours are a cream colour.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gary D said:

We tiled our bathroom and kitchen the best part of 20 years ago, I don't know if they have faded or not. I guess pick a colour that doesn't notice, ours are a cream colour.

I noticed in our local hardware store (not one of the chains) that the various lengths of trim had faded badly over the many years they had obviously been there.  That said, if they all fade together it's not an issue until you want to replace just one section.  

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, hk blues said:

You can't replace them properly but there is a sort of work around if you have a matching piece of vinyl edge.  Use a really sharp exacto blade to remove the broken piece.  Then cut the thin edge off the replacement piece (the thin edge that goes under the tile).  Once you have a good fit, use silicon glue to hold it in place.  If your edges and clean and sharp it won't look too bad.  As you say the best advice is to buy the strongest, or use metal in areas that are going to be subject to knocks and stress, kitchen counters for example.  Speaking from experience with the kitchen counter (Lolo's kitchen).  

• Like 1