Insulating the roof

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)

When we renovated the place in Guihulngan City a few years back (3 hours North of Dumaguete) we added a floor.  Downstairs is the ubiquitous cinder block but the new addition is wood framed.  Around the wood framing is the blue backed, silver (foil?) insulation and the facing was put over the top.  It was cheaper than filling the wall cavities with foam or some other material.  The ceiling cavity is filled with  roll out matting, again foil backed, chosen over the spray in products as they can block access to electrics if required in the future.  On the roof itself are the self-powered vents, the type that spin when the hot air in the roof cavity naturally moves up through them.  Solar panels are next on the list, not so much for the insulating factor but yep, power.  Having said that, they do do a great job insulating too. 

1 hour ago, scott h said:

This is just me, it is not so much the heat its the humidity that just kill me,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,unless you have a dehumidifier or air kon all you can do is suffer :56da64b51da2f_36_1_681:

Yeah, can't argue with that Scott, but insulation does help take the edge off.

Edited by BrettGC
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
27 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

at what cost and how long to recoup that?

When he completed it, 3 years ago, he told me the cost averaged US$500 per solar panel and he put up 9 (they are big).  This is not the cost of the solar panels only, it was the cost of the whole system which was proportional to how many solar panels he wanted to be installed.

He had it figured that the savings in electricity would pay for it in 8 years but he did not live that long.  His widow enjoys the benefits and if the house is ever sold then that is an excellent selling feature.  Prices have likely changed in 3 years.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

Those sound also like good ideas, except for the running water idea - now streams or ponds anywhere near. Good advice for me. I hope some of that may help Viking... Thanks!

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

When he completed it, 3 years ago, he told me the cost averaged US$500 per solar panel and he put up 9 (they are big).  This is not the cost of the solar panels only, it was the cost of the whole system which was proportional to how many solar panels he wanted to be installed.

He had it figured that the savings in electricity would pay for it in 8 years but he did not live that long.  His widow enjoys the benefits and if the house is ever sold then that is an excellent selling feature.  Prices have likely changed in 3 years.

More great information - thanks! I would only have half the roof in panels since I want the other half as roof deck. However I am considering putting some sort of "architectural" canvas/sail type of cloth over some of that for shade and livability.

That does not really sound so expensive. Did that include the cost of wiring, hooking up to the grid, switching circuits? And did he install batteries and inverter or was this just for daytime only power?

robert k
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Those sound also like good ideas, except for the running water idea - now streams or ponds anywhere near. Good advice for me. I hope some of that may help Viking... Thanks!

I used to live in a frame house in Los Angeles years ago and later in Death Valley California in wood frame houses. Spraying them down with a garden sprayer would cool them off considerably. Might be able to just put a sprinkler on the roof and give it a spritz a couple times a day, in the drier season anyway.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

Hi Robert.

Yet another good idea, thanks! At least water here is very cheap compared to Seattle, where I am from... It's the electricity that's a killer for me!

robert k
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Hi Robert.

Yet another good idea, thanks! At least water here is very cheap compared to Seattle, where I am from... It's the electricity that's a killer for me!

Maybe you can have your full rooftop deck and erect solar panels as shade? If you are building, it would be more excavation but geothermal would be long term cost effective. I had to work around it a lot in building schools in the US.

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

You have great ideas Robert! Thank you for sharing them!

Actually, I am now thinking about maybe half standard roofing with panels and half roof deck. I cannot - at this time - afford to do a full roof deck or even the solar panels yet - just the basic house. I am still negotiating for a builder.

I always liked the idea of geothermal but not sure if I have the fortitude to oversee its construction. I guess this would be unknown here? I already had feedback from builders about constructing a drainfield sewage system and - although these are actually mandated and specified as required when no sewage line is available - nobody knew about them. That may be another topic for another day - sewage!

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

:whistling: I think we have to remember where we are :tiphat:

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

Yeah... and sometimes I forget. I actually read the official Philippine regulations about the personal sewage systems. I hate the idea of just dumping it into a river...