Posted
Posted

Exactly!

John Chamberlain
Posted
Posted
On 6/23/2019 at 12:47 PM, Jack Peterson said:

AK your day will come believe me :wink:

I agree with Garry D and I always have trouble getting people to understand as their English is rather basic most of the time & only what they remember from school but I do have a wife & cousin who are totally fluent to sort things out for me, it sort of works out but its not easy !! We do live in a very rural area and this is one of the down sides !

John Chamberlain
Posted
Posted

I am often sitting wondering with a few beers and the more beer I have the more complicated the wondering gets !:cheers:

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, John Chamberlain said:

I agree with Garry D and I always have trouble getting people to understand as their English is rather basic most of the time

Well I understand English but my hearing is not good so often I do the nod, yes or whatever without really knowing what was said. :56da64af91f92_23_11_602:

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted
On 6/22/2019 at 9:13 PM, Tommy T. said:

English is an official language here

Before I came to the Philippines, I was blissfully ignorant of all of the languages that are spoken in the Phils.  Since I was speaking to Fil-American neighbors and friends for decades, and I had never heard them speak anything other than English, I mistakenly believed that English was always spoken in the Philippines. :SugarwareZ-037:

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

Before I came to the Philippines, I was blissfully ignorant of all of the languages that are spoken in the Phils.  Since I was speaking to Fil-American neighbors and friends for decades, and I had never heard them speak anything other than English, I mistakenly believed that English was always spoken in the Philippines. :SugarwareZ-037:

I was here many years ago for a first visit on my yacht, so I was already aware of English being spoken in some areas, especially government offices and stores. But I was surprised when I learned that in rural areas it seems almost every community has its own dialect that is not well understood outside there - hence the use of the "bigger?" local languages like Tagalog, Bisayan and Cebuano so that people can communicate.

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
On 6/24/2019 at 6:19 PM, Tommy T. said:

Exactly!

Tom it would help if people knew what you were replying to you can quote a post on the bottom left corner of it mate.

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

Yeah...thanks Sonjack. JollyGoodFellow just showed me how to do that yesterday. Still learning how this forum works.

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
52 minutes ago, sonjack2847 said:

Tom it would help if people knew what you were replying to you can quote a post on the bottom left corner of it mate.

Whoops! I just see I forgot to quote your previous message...how dumb is that? Okay, I will try harder...

• Haha 2
  • I'm Confused 1

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
On 6/24/2019 at 9:28 AM, Arizona Kid said:

Especially in Japan. Even if they don't understand you, you think they do with the nod. I have a new neighbor next door here in the Phills, maybe in his mid 30's. Has a boyfriend. My sons basketball went in their yard 2 days ago and he refused to give it back. I called his name over the 4 ft fence just to talk to him about it and he was full of rage. Couldn't believe it, over a basketball. I calmed him down enough to get the ball back with a promise that it wouldn't happen again. Apparently some people aren't happy unless they are angry.:shock_40_anim_gif:   

Hehe , when I first left Glasgow about 35 years ago , I had trouble getting the English to understand my thick accent , I would be quite happily chatting away and when I finished I'd get a smile and a nod lol

• Haha 1