Somedays I sit and Wonder

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

I was here many years ago for a first visit on my yacht, so I was already aware of English being spoken in some areas, especially government offices and stores. But I was surprised when I learned that in rural areas it seems almost every community has its own dialect that is not well understood outside there - hence the use of the "bigger?" local languages like Tagalog, Bisayan and Cebuano so that people can communicate.

That can also apply to the UK,  there are varying regional dialects  , things also have different names , Scots,  Welsh,  Yorkshire,  brummie etc all have a slightly different vocabulary and combined with the regional accent can be difficult to understand , I've had to translate from glaswegians into English for English speaking people lol

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, bastonjock said:

That can also apply to the UK,  there are varying regional dialects  , things also have different names , Scots,  Welsh,  Yorkshire,  brummie etc all have a slightly different vocabulary and combined with the regional accent can be difficult to understand , I've had to translate from glaswegians into English for English speaking people lol

Don't forget too that there is Australian ('Strine).

• Like 1