Television

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
31 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

MikeJ what are you using for internet?  If it’s Globe@home wireless then I’d be look8ng at your signal strength.  Sticking an outside receiver box on a pole and getting it up in the air can turn a really slow connection int9 a usable one.  It took the connection a5 th3 &amply house in Ozamiz from about your speed to one varying between 1 and 3 Mbps.  Still not great but at least it’s usable for SD video streaming now.

Yes, using Globe at Home.  I show three green bars for signal strength and I am sitting with my laptop on about 3 meters away.  Can you give me more detail on an outside receiver box?  Where do you get one, how is it hooked up, etc.  I do have an older outdoor receiver from our beach cottage that I took down.  Kind of a long story about why, turned out it was boot leg from an employee who took it in lieu of wages when the business was shut down.  Can you swap out the sim from Glove at Home into the outside receiver?  The MAC address would change.  Is that something Globe looks for?  I suppose I could always switch it back if it did not work.

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
33 minutes ago, Mike J said:

Yes, using Globe at Home.  I show three green bars for signal strength and I am sitting with my laptop on about 3 meters away.  Can you give me more detail on an outside receiver box?  Where do you get one, how is it hooked up, etc.  I do have an older outdoor receiver from our beach cottage that I took down.  Kind of a long story about why, turned out it was boot leg from an employee who took it in lieu of wages when the business was shut down.  Can you swap out the sim from Glove at Home into the outside receiver?  The MAC address would change.  Is that something Globe looks for?  I suppose I could always switch it back if it did not work.

We got our outdoor antenna panel from the Globe@home agent and they did the install, you don’t have to swap the SIM because it’s just an external antenna.

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, bastonjock said:

Hi Guys

when im at my jungle hut , id like to be able to watch tv , forget about fiber etc , so what are my options for English speaking television , im also thinking of getting a signal booster for internet 

I download everything I want to watch including the late night talk shows the day after they go on the air. Send it all to a USB and watch it at my leisure. Just put a USB capable TV in your jungle hut and you are good to go. If you need help doing this PM me.:56da64af91f92_23_11_602:

• Like 1

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Mike J said:

Hi there Mikej, in the old days of pldt DSL internet a couple of tricks i learnt was to reboot the router a couple of times a day, and also if you can find out your providers ip address then you can ping it ! These 2 ways seem to wake up the providers servers, told to me by an ex pldt engineer !

blkJack
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, GeoffH said:

MikeJ what are you using for internet?  If it’s Globe@home wireless then I’d be look8ng at your signal strength.  Sticking an outside receiver box on a pole and getting it up in the air can turn a really slow connection int9 a usable one.  It took the connection a5 th3 &amply house in Ozamiz from about your speed to one varying between 1 and 3 Mbps.  Still not great but at least it’s usable for SD video streaming now.

I would agree with you on this one. Buy a Amazon Firestick and and go to YouTube and see how to add some optional programming to it and stream anything you want in SD video.  I have a MIBOX and a AMAZON firestick and they both work well with a few easy to do tweaks 

Gary D
Posted
Posted

Anyone tried a google chromecast, son bought one for me but I see little use for it here as I have smart tv and can't see the advantage of changing channels from my phone. Thinking of bringing it to the Philippines with me when I come in a few weeks.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 6/24/2019 at 1:09 AM, bastonjock said:

Hi Guys

when im at my jungle hut , id like to be able to watch tv , forget about fiber etc , so what are my options for English speaking television , im also thinking of getting a signal booster for internet 

Maybe try , tvplus and put the antenna up high. 

https://tvplus.abs-cbn.com/

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, expatuk2014 said:

Hi there Mikej, in the old days of pldt DSL internet a couple of tricks i learnt was to reboot the router a couple of times a day, and also if you can find out your providers ip address then you can ping it ! These 2 ways seem to wake up the providers servers, told to me by an ex pldt engineer !

I have been doing the reboot option fairly often but that only seems to work when I have lost access completely.  I will try the ping idea and see if that helps.  Thanks.

blkJack
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Gary D said:

Anyone tried a google chromecast, son bought one for me but I see little use for it here as I have smart tv and can't see the advantage of changing channels from my phone. Thinking of bringing it to the Philippines with me when I come in a few weeks.

I have found it quite good for streaming from the net from my phone or computer.  Some of my friends run Chromecast servers and I can stream from them.

jimeve
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, blkJack said:

I have found it quite good for streaming from the net from my phone or computer.  Some of my friends run Chromecast servers and I can stream from them.

I have one and can only get youtube and netflix! 

Edited by jimeve
missing word
  • Hmm thinking 1