Atheism

Jimbouk
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hi,

Some of you may be Christians, some may be atheists but for the atheists out there, how do you deal with the predominant  religion in the Philippines? (e.g. making excuses for not going to church, refusing to take part in praying etc.)

Jimbouk

Edited by Old55
Replaced pervasive with predominant
  • Hmm thinking 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted

Like most places now the proportion of the population that actually go to church is quite small. Apart from a couple if weddings/ christenings and a funeral I've not been to church there in 25 years.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Jim your post is provocative bordering a troll. What exactly is the point of your question?

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Jimbouk said:

Some of you may be Christians, some may be atheists but for the atheists out there, how do you deal with the predominant  religion in the Philippines? (e.g. making excuses for not going to church, refusing to take part in praying etc.)

No need for excuses, it will not be an issue unless you make it an issue.  

• Like 2

Nickleback99
Posted
Posted

Now there’s a “loaded” subject!  I simply don’t go for most part, and if I bow my head, eyes open, it’s simply out of respect for another’s faith or beliefs. I did agree and participate in my children’s baptisms and will leave to them to decide their own beliefs later.  I’ve been at plenty of Fil-Am gatherings, where there’s always a blessing given before chow, and noticed a lot of Filipinas not bowing nor closing eyes, deliberately, which told me a lot.  My Asawa is very much a non-participant in the church itself and often questions its policies, as she feels it does not help lift others Out of poverty, and she Knows poverty having grown up in Tondo, and later Bagong Silang. That all said, I have little faith in Man either, as seems we are pretty adept at doing a lot of bad things around the world regardless of beliefs or faiths. Maybe John Lennon has a good idea in this song, although not realistic, at least to me.  Peace.  

• Like 3

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

I'm pretty up front about not being religious.  If they don't like it they can pray for my forgiveness :whistling:

I think it's like a lot of countries now where they play lip service to it.  They've had it drilled into them about religion but like rules and laws here most just say they are to fit in with the crowd.  

I have some seriously religious friends and they respect my disbelief and I respect their faith, I've never once felt rejected for being a humanist. 

• Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I simply tell them I have no imaginary friends and will not go.  They think all foreigners are crazy anyway - may as well let them think it. :) 

The only place it has ever been questioned is at government offices. When I fill out a form, check "other" and write in "none".  It confuses them ha ha

• Like 2

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted

I'm a bit surprised that we can discuss religion on this forum.

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)

I go with the Angry Midget every now and then - It's an hour every couple of weeks and makes her happy.  Besides, the local bishop here does the Sunday night mass and when he gives his homily he's so out of touch with reality it's a bit of a comedy show which provides some amusement - Despite herself, AM sometimes chuckles along with me. 

1 hour ago, Snowy79 said:

I have some seriously religious friends and they respect my disbelief and I respect their faith, I've never once felt rejected for being a humanist. 

I'm in the same boat Snowy. 

Edited by BrettGC
  • Like 2

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic