Sour Cream

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

Hi all...

Just the simplest of questions...

Can anyone tell me if there is anywhere in Davao where I can buy real sour cream - you know, the thick kind like in USA, Australia, etc. All I ever seem to find is the ubiquitous "Nestle" sour cream which tastes okay, but is runny and also has awful containers with lids that fall apart after a while in the refrigerator. I know how to make sour cream from yogurt, but would just like to find if it is available at any stores here. Sometimes one of these containers seems to have the thickened style but most are the watery consistency. Also, maybe only 50% of the time I go to SM or Gaisano or Robertsons - even on the same day - do I even find this Nestle product available... Frequently "sorry, out of stock," anyway...

Okay....actually two questions now that I am here. How about Indian curry spices? Any store recommendations? Again, the four major stores here don't carry much selection, just "curry powder" and a few of the specific spices...

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Hi all...

Just the simplest of questions...

Can anyone tell me if there is anywhere in Davao where I can buy real sour cream - you know, the thick kind like in USA, Australia, etc. All I ever seem to find is the ubiquitous "Nestle" sour cream which tastes okay, but is runny and also has awful containers with lids that fall apart after a while in the refrigerator. I know how to make sour cream from yogurt, but would just like to find if it is available at any stores here. Sometimes one of these containers seems to have the thickened style but most are the watery consistency. Also, maybe only 50% of the time I go to SM or Gaisano or Robertsons - even on the same day - do I even find this Nestle product available... Frequently "sorry, out of stock," anyway...

Okay....actually two questions now that I am here. How about Indian curry spices? Any store recommendations? Again, the four major stores here don't carry much selection, just "curry powder" and a few of the specific spices...

I dont know if Davao have a dairy but sour cream is available from the Cebu dairy.

Gaisano  supermarket has a Asian section with many imported products, well at least they do in Cebu.

virginprune
Posted
Posted

I can only get the Nestlè sour cream as well...not the best but reasonabley priced.

Regarding curry spices, there is an Indian shop opposite the rear gate to the Philippines Womens College. Not too far from the SM/S&R area. I used to go there from Marbel for my spices, lentils etc. Luckily for me there is a good one in Gensan now which is far closer for me. Good luck.

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
58 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I dont know if Davao have a dairy but sour cream is available from the Cebu dairy.

Gaisano  supermarket has a Asian section with many imported products, well at least they do in Cebu.

Thanks for your response. I don't think I have seen any products from Cebu dairy here. If they are here, I just haven't found them - but now I will look and even ask around.

Yeah, I agree with you and like Gaisano supermarket because here they do carry a lot of foreign items including, I think, the best spice and vegetable departments. I wonder if the one in Cebu might carry more selection because of possibly a bigger market for Indian food consumers? I was hoping there was some niche place, maybe, that specializes in those spices here.

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, virginprune said:

I can only get the Nestlè sour cream as well...not the best but reasonabley priced.

Regarding curry spices, there is an Indian shop opposite the rear gate to the Philippines Womens College. Not too far from the SM/S&R area. I used to go there from Marbel for my spices, lentils etc. Luckily for me there is a good one in Gensan now which is far closer for me. Good luck.

Hi and thanks for your response. So I guess I will have to make my own sour cream using yogurt. I am just getting a bit lazy in my old age but ya gotta do what ya gotta do, somebody someplace once said...

Okay - I will see if I can find that Indian shop. Ah... I think I have driven past that college - I know that area a little. I don't think I will drive to GenSan just for sipce, but I will remember that if I ever go that way. I have found a good selection of dried beans of various types at Victoria Mall, but NCCC recently took that store over and they appear to be purging a lot of their odd selection of foods. I would love to find lentils, curry leaves, other spices and make spicy dahl soup. I will make it a point to come back here and report my progress in case anyone else is interested. Thanks again!

virginprune
Posted
Posted

Re curry leaves, if you can find a plant put in your garden or big pot. It grows really easily here, I also grow the dark green finger chillies you find in Indian dishes. When they go to red I mince them and make chili oil.

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, virginprune said:

Re curry leaves, if you can find a plant put in your garden or big pot. It grows really easily here, I also grow the dark green finger chillies you find in Indian dishes. When they go to red I mince them and make chili oil.

Hey... thanks for another great idea! There are a lot of herb plants at SM City - I will make another note to check there. When I complete building my home, I want to grow lots of fresh herbs.

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I think they sell Indian spices in either Osmena boulevard or the road that the diplomat is on, in Cebu city. I don`t know if they deliver and I can`t remember the name do you know about this one JGF?

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
43 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

I don't think I have seen any products from Cebu dairy here. If they are here, I just haven't found them - but now I will look and even ask around.

Sour cream has to be ordered at the dairy and picked up. I did not mean their products would be in Davao but I said there might be a dairy in Davao but I dont know. 

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I did not mean their products would be in Davao but I said there might be a dairy in Davao but I dont know. 

@i am bob

I wonder if a PM to our Man Bob might Bring some luck on this, I tend to think he just might Know :wink: