Sour Cream

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Hobbit112 said:

Probably mayo! :hystery:

Watered down mayo...

For Indian spices I found a local Sikh temple, and was going to ask them.  When I got there I smelt the spices, followed my nose across the street, and found it.  A sari sari store across the street from the temple is a full on Indian spice store. I would think most cities here would have a Sikh temple, I see Sikhs all over the place here.  The only place in the city I have found garam masala! 

• Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

What do the Mexican restaurants here use? 

Still looking for a decent Mexican restaurant - haven't found one yet. So I make my own. It may be more Tex-Mex than Mexican, but it tastes good - even with that thin, Nestle's sort-of sour cream. Partner and all her friends love it!

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

So Mum comes and tries it.  Total disaster. 

I don't know for sure how it all works. I remember my best friend's grandma was from Czechoslovakia - didn't speak a word of English - and she made killer donuts. So she took my friend's mom and tutored her in how to make them. Making them in his home with the local ingredients, they were incredible. Then grandma left and a while later his mom made donuts again... not a failure, but just not the same, not as good... There seems to just be a special touch...

RBM
Posted
Posted

A simple easy to make recipe for a very tasty sour cream, far better than nestles bought in a super market.

Half cup cream bought locally.

2 Tea spoons fresh lemon juice.

About a table spoon milk.

Mix ingredients, stir, put in jar and shake well. Remove lid, cover with paper kitchen towel and let sit over night, unrefridgerated. Place in fridge an that's it, as one poster mentioned in a baked potato with chives very tasty if a tad heavy on calories.

• Thanks 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, RBM said:

A simple easy to make recipe for a very tasty sour cream, far better than nestles bought in a super market.

Hello RBM. That sounds like a winner!  I will give that a try - always willing to experiment to find the best result - thanks for the idea! Calories.... okay.... I will try a bit of moderation... Cheers!

i am bob
Posted
Posted
On 6/26/2019 at 4:08 PM, Jack Peterson said:

@i am bob

I wonder if a PM to our Man Bob might Bring some luck on this, I tend to think he just might Know :wink:

Try up in Calinan....  it looks fast but just a free minutes past Mintal...  Suppose to be the dairy area here...  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

RBM beat me to the recipe for sour cream...  Though I would probably drop the milk here...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, i am bob said:

Try up in Calinan....  it looks fast but just a free minutes past Mintal...  Suppose to be the dairy area here...  

Okay... I know Calinan a bit. I will look around... Thanks for the tip!

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

Yeah, I couldn't follow the reason for adding milk to that? Doesn't make sense to me. But any way I try it won't cost a lot of money, just a bit of time. And, hopefully, I have some of that left for a while still!

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I've been there once and it was a couple years ago...  I do remember seeing cows in a couple fields...

• Like 1