Progress

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted

When I retired here in 2002 most of the outlying roads were dirt or gravel. Used to go bike riding every am. with my GF. There was one Jollibee and one Mcdo within a 10 min. drive. If we wanted to go to a SM grocery store we had to drive about a half hour to get there. All of the old roads are paved now with too much traffic to safely ride. Now there are 2 SM Savemores, 2 Puregolds, 2 Jollibees, 2 Mcdos, a Shakeys Pizza, Kenny Rodgers, Chow King, a soon to open Burger King and Pizza hut, a Robinsons just opened a year ago. All within 10 min. from where I live, if you only go on Sunday. Paradise lost? I might have to move further away from Manila!!:shock_40_anim_gif:

• Like 2

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
24 minutes ago, Arizona Kid said:

When I retired here in 2002 most of the outlying roads were dirt or gravel. Used to go bike riding every am. with my GF. There was one Jollibee and one Mcdo within a 10 min. drive. If we wanted to go to a SM grocery store we had to drive about a half hour to get there. All of the old roads are paved now with too much traffic to safely ride. Now there are 2 SM Savemores, 2 Puregolds, 2 Jollibees, 2 Mcdos, a Shakeys Pizza, Kenny Rodgers, Chow King, a soon to open Burger King and Pizza hut, a Robinsons just opened a year ago. All within 10 min. from where I live, if you only go on Sunday. Paradise lost? I might have to move further away from Manila!!:shock_40_anim_gif:

That's one of the reasons I have the jungle hut , not too many rosters ( ONLY ONE ) and if any of them chickens start to cock a doodle do , it becomes dinner

If I feel the need for a chow king , I just drive my little pick up into toril

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Arizona Kid said:

Paradise lost? I might have to move further away from Manila!!:shock_40_anim_gif:

I call it regress, not progress... That's why my home will be out in the relative boonies...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

I call it regress, not progress... That's why my home will be out in the relative boonies...

I'll swim against the tide and say i think it's great that everyone here is slowly getting the chance to experience things we perhaps took for granted when growing up.   I chose to live in a reasonable well-developed area of the country because I love all that kinda stuff but I do understand it's not for everyone.  One man's meat is another man's poison and all that!

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
28 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I'll swim against the tide and say i think it's great that everyone here is slowly getting the chance to experience things we perhaps took for granted when growing up.   I chose to live in a reasonable well-developed area of the country because I love all that kinda stuff but I do understand it's not for everyone.  One man's meat is another man's poison and all that!

I understand your thoughts and opinion and respect them. I guess an issue I have with development - at least here in most of Davao and even on the highways - is that it seems to be haphazard and not always well planned or thought out. This is what I think is contributing to the traffic gridlock. Stores and restaurants just spring up along the main thoroughfares in order maximum exposure and business, right? Every little settlement causes traffic problems because people, kids, dogs cross the roads without looking. And tricycles put put or pedal along in the left lanes clogging traffic also. There needs to be advanced planning for traffic patterns, better enforcement of existing traffic laws and parking BEFORE new restaurants and malls appear (and fast food seems to be by far the majority of the new businesses described by Arizona Kid). Fast food causes lots of traffic snarls if done without care. And all the little shops along the roads with sometimes little on street parking, so people double or even triple park rather than park some distance away and walk a little. The powers that be seem to be recognizing this somewhat in some areas but in others it is too late with narrow roads never designed to handle big cars and heavy traffic. So retro-improvements prove expensive or even impossible to achieve.

However, personally, I prefer to live far away from the congestion and don't mind a 15 minute or longer drive to shop for groceries every few days or even once a week. (Maybe part of my preference is because I lived aboard a yacht for over 20 years and had to plan food shopping very thoroughly in order to have enough to last for maybe 4 weeks or even more? So I got used to that concept. Plus I have always - with two brief exceptions - lived in peaceful suburbs or out in rural areas.) Also, we really don't do much fast food...

So I agree with your conclusion that a person's chosen living location is very personal - like pizza and underwear...hahaha...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Mine is about 45 mins up Apo from toril , it's near to Alambre

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, bastonjock said:

Mine is about 45 mins up Apo from toril , it's near to Alambre

I'll look that up some time but now I am getting too sleepy... My property is about 45 minutes from SM City if traffic isn't too snarled...

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Moalboal started to "progress" about three years ago.  Nice to have a shopping center, and more than a single cash machine in the entire town.  But progress comes at a cost for sure.  Moalboal is not quite the sleepy little fishing village it was six years ago.   They even started having to use traffic enforcers at the main intersections in town (all three of them).  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

graham59
Posted
Posted

The people are certainly getting progressively fatter... as they are in other countries where 'junk food' has made deep inroads into what was formerly perhaps a healthy diet. 

So, yes, the marketing exercise by the huge junk food purveyors has certainly progressed, but definitely  to the detriment of the health of their little plump customers IMHO.  

A scrap of lettuce leaf does not suffice for one of one's 'five a day' veggies.  :rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, graham59 said:

A scrap of lettuce leaf does not suffice for one of one's 'five a day' veggies. 

I agree Graham, My wife wonders how I can consume, Lettuce  like I do  But I can and I will get my Whatever it is I get from it even at the cost :thumbsup: