And then she said, "It's Just Like The Philippines"!

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

Jealous, EH :whistling::hystery:

Not in my Vocabulary But Kev(sonjack) may be a little upset that you have come out of the closet and not included him :whistling:

Edited by Jack Peterson
spelling again

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

Don't want to exclude you from this discussion... prefer to have you in all discussions. sorry if I have alienated you ... no intent!

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
27 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Sorry... I am out of this discussion now... Wrong attribution

My bad

29 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Sorry... I am out of this discussion now...

Laugh icon.jpg

9 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Don't want to exclude you from this discussion... prefer to have you in all discussions. sorry if I have alienated you ... no intent!

I am not really in it, I am just taking the Piss to show how it is when people Quote silly stuff on others Posts. To be Honest I have Lost the Plot anyway ( if there ever was one BUT No harm anywhere) :wink: Have a Good night as my Bed is calling me:56da64b24b45d_36_1_501:

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

There's nothing else in this world like the love.  The Beatles were so right about that with their song:  https://youtu.be/0zRW-A5aDuU

Speaking of the Beatles, I forgot to mention that I was playing the Beatles channel on my Sirius Satellite Radio during our road trip, and Rowena was shocked about how the Beatles recorded so many songs, both as a group and as solo artists. 

She said that in the Philippines, only a handful of Beatles songs were ever given air time on the radio.  For the songs that she already knew, such as 'Hello Goodbye,' we both sang along together.... but if we appeared on 'Idol Philippines,' I could already hear the judges saying "I don't think so".... or if we appeared on Showtimes's Tawag ng Tanghalan, we would have definitey been gonged. 

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
23 minutes ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

She said that in the Philippines, only a handful of Beatles songs were ever given air time on the radio.

Not that long ago the family were having a videoK night at home and I got handed the book to look for a song, I don't remember why (probably the beer) but I remember choosing "We all live in a Yellow submarine" (which made the kids grin and the adults look gobsmacked).

SWMBO asked me where did I learn that song and who sung it and I said "The Beatles" and suddenly the interest was gone.

I don't know why they're so (relatively) unpopular here?

• Like 1

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

Good question, but at least my wife is now getting the complete education in Beatles music that she was deprived of getting in the Philippines.

• Like 1

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

at least my wife is now getting the complete education in Beatles music that she was deprived of getting in the Philippines.

Wow!  I'm still amazed about how many more Beatles songs that my wife has never heard before.  It's almost as if she escaped a 'cold-war era' soviet (or soviet bloc country) instead of the Philippines.

We really do need to buy a karaoke machine very soon, but it needs to be an economical device... suggestions are welcomed.

Gary D
Posted
Posted

The film Yesterday has just hit the cinemas here, hoping to take the wife this evening. By the sound of the storyline it could be about the Philippines.

• Like 1

Balisidar
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, GeoffH said:

There are a few reasons and remember...Filipinos have long memories.

One.  They snubbed Imelda Marcos who was first lady at the time.  It was unintentional but there you go.

Another one was John Lennon's comments about the Beatles being " More popular than Jesus Christ"

Remember that Catholicism then and now plays a huge part in their lives and it's not just the Beatles that have had songs banned from playing in the Philippines.   Another song is "Only the good die young" by Billie Joel due to his comments about her Catholic religion.

• Like 3

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Gary D said:

The film Yesterday has just hit the cinemas here, hoping to take the wife this evening. By the sound of the storyline it could be about the Philippines.

You probably could get away with passing off many of the Beatles songs as your own originals in the Philippines.

Reminds me that whenever my wife and I watch Showtime and ASAP on TFC, she gets shocked and surprised whenever I tell her that the songs that she thinks are original Pinoy songs are actually 'covers' of American and British songs... she really thinks that they were written by Filipinos.