Circa 1965 and Only 4 peso per day wages but they survived

graham59
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Gary D said:

My first trip to the Philippines in 1995 the rate was 38 pesos to the £ and things were a lot cheaper than now. I think a bottle of Tanduay was something like 70 pesos.

Sorry... have to correct you there.

My first trip to PI was in 1990.... and yes indeed, it was p38/£1 then.  It started to move up steadily during the next few years. Already around p44  in around 91/92.  In 1995 (when I was living in PI) it was ... can't remember precisely,  (and without googling) , but certainly more than p60 to £1, I seem to recall. The increasing value of the pound sterling continued up to the late 90s/early 2000s, topping out at a heady p110/£1... and the pound = 2 US Dollars.

Yes, it would be nice to get back to p70 or p80 plus though, that's for sure.  I live in hope. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

virginprune
Posted
Posted
39 minutes ago, graham59 said:

Yes, it would be nice to get back to p70 or p80 plus though, that's for sure.  I live in hope. :thumbsup:

I first came here in 2014, the rate then was P74. When I moved here 4 years ago it had dropped to P70. It hovered around the P60+ until the brexit referendum result when it dropped to P58 from P68 overnight. Since then it slowly climbed back to P74 around 6 months ago. Since that 'high' it has slowly dropped to the P65 it is today.

To be honest I don't know how it remains at this level considering Sterling's poor showing against the Dollar.

• Like 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
34 minutes ago, virginprune said:

To be honest I don't know how it remains at this level considering Sterling's poor showing against the Dollar

It's not just Sterling that's poor against the US$.

graham59
Posted
Posted

We are also blessed by a weak peso... against the dollar ... otherwise... :sad:

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)

Think we are missing the Point here, Comparisons are not really about what the Topic is about. :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

Edit

If it is going to a comparison thing now we would need to go back to our earnability 1n 1965 at age 16 I was earning 3.75 pound per week and at the exchange rate then 10.91. At that age on Holiday I would  still have been Rich, in comparison,  40+ peso per week against their 28 peso per week, they mostly would have had a House and family to keep, now there is a thought:huh:

Edited by Jack Peterson
added some

Gary D
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, graham59 said:

Sorry... have to correct you there.

My first trip to PI was in 1990.... and yes indeed, it was p38/£1 then.  It started to move up steadily during the next few years. Already around p44  in around 91/92.  In 1995 (when I was living in PI) it was ... can't remember precisely,  (and without googling) , but certainly more than p60 to £1, I seem to recall. The increasing value of the pound sterling continued up to the late 90s/early 2000s, topping out at a heady p110/£1... and the pound = 2 US Dollars.

My first trip was November 1995 and the rate was 38 pesos to the pound sterling.

graham59
Posted
Posted
36 minutes ago, Gary D said:

My first trip was November 1995 and the rate was 38 pesos to the pound sterling.

You were ripped off then.

(Average)   1995 1 US dollar = 38.9 pesos.

(Average)   1995 1 Pound Sterling  = 1.58 US Dollars.

Do the math,

I'll help you....  61.462  pesos to one pound Sterling. 

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
On 6/28/2019 at 11:32 AM, Tommy T. said:

Wow!!! And Tanduay must have been free? Amazing story - thanks for sharing that!

Tanduay..brings back a lot of memories! Anyone heard of the Mojo drinks in the early 70s?:smile:

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted

My first port call was in 1971. Don't remember the exchange rate. Subic. Fell in love the first night of liberty!:laugh:

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, sonjack2847 said:

I`m glad it`s not that price now or I could see many people having problems. 

I think a lot of people here are having problems, unfortunately... Including me at times!!