Circa 1965 and Only 4 peso per day wages but they survived

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, Gary D said:

I think a bottle of Tanduay was something like 70 pesos.

And today it is, what, 126 pesos? ( I don't know, but I know it is insanely cheap - the opiate for the masses?). It is scary cheap compared to Washington State price for rum at - $15 or more? (Don't know about that either since haven't been there for a few years).

So not much inflation for Tanduay over the years...

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

If only I had one of those 'Back to the Future' cars :smile:

Yet Mark, at the time most of those things seemed so very expensive to many people - me included - do you agree? So much of this is perspective, right? When I worked at a gas station, I would drain the gas from the hoses into my Dad's car tank to save a bit for my running around chasing (impossible to get) girls and just have fun...

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Arizona Kid said:

Tanduay..brings back a lot of memories! Anyone heard of the Mojo drinks in the early 70s?:smile:

Tanduay has been destroying my memories!

graham59
Posted
Posted

In 1995 a 'full'' (750ml) bottle of Tanduay 80 proof cost around 45 to  50 pesos.

The same size bottle today, from my local supermarket is 90+ pesos. 

A 350ml bottle of Ginebra Gin, from the sari sari store up the road costs me 50 pesos.

• Like 1

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted
18 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Yet Mark, at the time most of those things seemed so very expensive to many people - me included - do you agree? So much of this is perspective, right?

Yes Tom, I agree, and yes, it's all perspective - since in 50 + years from right now, people will think that buying a house for $250k or a car for $40k is a real bargain.

• Haha 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
39 minutes ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

Yes Tom, I agree, and yes, it's all perspective - since in 50 + years from right now, people will think that buying a house for $250k or a car for $40k is a real bargain.

Maybe... unless everyone is paying using Chinese currency?

At any rate, I will be long gone, so not my problem, I guess... Ah... back when grass was only $25/lid...

• Haha 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

But, back to the beginning of this topic... I am amazed and impressed that the locals here could live on just 4 pesos/day. Even with things so much cheaper than today prices, that shows a lot of stamina and pluck.

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
52 minutes ago, graham59 said:

The same size bottle today, from my local supermarket is 90+ pesos. 

You are getting a better price than I find, but that's okay... It is already too cheap... bad for my health and state of mind already...

graham59
Posted
Posted

Weren't there about 4 pesos to the US dollar back then ? 

I think it's all relative really... as previously discussed ? 

I do know that in the UK at any rate, it is definitely very much harder for youngsters to get on the property ladder these days. 

You need to compare cost of properties/mortgages and average earnings of current (hopeful) buyers against what previous generations were asked to stump up to enter home ownership. 

Much easier in my parents' day.... and for me too.  

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
14 minutes ago, graham59 said:

Much easier in my parents' day.... and for me too.  

Yeah... I would not want to be trying to buy a home in USA or other Western country now. I am finding I will be struggling a bit to pay to build my new small home here this year...

• Like 1