Philippine Star

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted

Yesterday there was an article on the front page asking if the US would help the Philippines in their problem with China about the fishing grounds at the disputed islands. Typical Filipino reaction. Kick the US bases out of the Philippines because they wanted more money..the greedy "magnificent 12"..now they want us back? Maybe they should take their banka boats and fire some kwitis at the Chinese boats. Ungrateful to the max.:unsure: 

• Like 4

Kuya John
Posted
Posted

The little I know about poker is yes you can bluff your way to win, but sometimes the opposite player has the upper hand. :morning1:

• Like 3

Gary D
Posted
Posted

Subic and Angelese had been largely wrecked by Pinatubu so it was sort of convenient for them to leave.

• Like 1
  • Love it 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
On 6/28/2019 at 4:56 PM, Arizona Kid said:

Kick the US bases out of the Philippines because they wanted more money..the greedy "magnificent 12"..now they want us back?

At the risk of sounding a bit bitter... I wondered the same thing. I read about the president disparaging the USA - no more buying their arms, don't want soldiers on land here, etc. etc.... Then the first time there is a serious challenge militarily from China and he is begging (sorry..."daring") USA to help....? Is this too political for the forum?

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

At the risk of sounding a bit bitter... I wondered the same thing. I read about the president disparaging the USA - no more buying their arms, don't want soldiers on land here, etc. etc.... Then the first time there is a serious challenge militarily from China and he is begging (sorry..."daring") USA to help....? Is this too political for the forum?

Not too political. Simply stating facts. :tiphat:

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Old55 said:

Not too political. Simply stating facts. :tiphat:

Thanks... I don't want to offend the forum. But, yes, those are the facts as I observe. I have never, personally, been able to be nice to someone I did not like, nor ask for anything from that same person at some time...just not my nature. So I do not like to see that sort of behaviour from someone who is nominally in charge of a country...

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

I hope there won't be a death squad at my front door tomorrow at 3 am...

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Is this too political for the forum?

So far it is a logical discussion.  The question is why anyone would want to step into the middle of this.  China made a claim.  They backed it up.  Lots of other countries laid claim.  The backed down.  The world court sided with the Philippines BUT China says the court should deal only with judicial and not political matters.  This is a political issue.

• Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

So far it is a logical discussion.  The question is why anyone would want to step into the middle of this.  China made a claim.  They backed it up.  Lots of other countries laid claim.  The backed down.  The world court sided with the Philippines BUT China says the court should deal only with judicial and not political matters.  This is a political issue.

You make a very valid point, Dave. It appears someone wants the US to step into this... It sounds sort of like the old story/joke about someone waiting for an elevator... When the elevator appears and opens, a sweet, little, old lady steps out smiling. Then the person waiting steps in and, just as the doors close, he(she) notices that it just reeks from a very smelly fart left by the smiling old lady... and he is stuck with that all the way to the top floor...

• Haha 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

It appears someone wants the US to step into this

But the US wont. All the US really cares about is that the waters are kept open for oil tankers heading towards Japan and South Korea. 

My wife, who is about the most non political person I know, is convinced that Pres D. is on the take from china and wont stand up to them because he is getting kick backs. 

She just wont understand that, despite the calls to ban Chinese fishing boats from the area, there is absolutely nothing that the Philippines can physically do to prevent them. The Philippine navy shoots at a Chinese boat and they will get stomped on like an Ipis in the dirty kitchen 

• Like 2