Solar Power System Installed

Viking
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

We do not have multi-split system. We are installing single split air/cons in the new home. One reason is that there would have to be a lot of piping set in the walls to reach all four evaporator units. That's a great opportunity for failure along the way.

However, the main reason for our choice stems from my long association with all things electrical and mechanical. I am concerned that if the single compressor should fail or be down for maintenance or repairs, then you also have multiple rooms without a/c. If each room unit is separate from each other then, typically only one might fail at a time? And if one fails, you can still get at least some residual cooling from the remaining functional unit(s). I guess I am always looking for redundancy and do not like to rely on only one system if two can be used.

The drawbacks of following my logic, that I see, are cost of extra compressors and cabling and the basic simplicity of having just the one system. You also would have more ugly compressors on the outside of your home to look at.

There is a lot of logic in what you are saying, however, if you have many units there is also a bigger risk of failure (in some of them) and I suppose also higher cost of maintenance. Decisions decisions :89:

• Like 2

carbpow
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Viking said:

There is a lot of logic in what you are saying, however, if you have many units there is also a bigger risk of failure (in some of them) and I suppose also higher cost of maintenance. Decisions decisions :89:

Here's an update for those of you planning AC systems. The multi split system I bought and installed 3 months ago was a Daikin system. Very recently the compressor shut down due to a bad PCB. All is under warranty from Daikin but has to go thru Daikin Manila for replacement parts. They are questioning voltage surges etc as to the root cause and have not been forthcoming with  a replacement PCB yet. I explained that we have a surge suppressor installed on the main Meralco line coming to the house. Also explained that all other appliances are fine and no one else in the subdivision has experienced any failures due to voltage. I will keep everyone posted on how they handle this.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, carbpow said:

Here's an update for those of you planning AC systems. The multi split system I bought and installed 3 months ago was a Daikin system. Very recently the compressor shut down due to a bad PCB. All is under warranty from Daikin but has to go thru Daikin Manila for replacement parts. They are questioning voltage surges etc as to the root cause and have not been forthcoming with  a replacement PCB yet. I explained that we have a surge suppressor installed on the main Meralco line coming to the house. Also explained that all other appliances are fine and no one else in the subdivision has experienced any failures due to voltage. I will keep everyone posted on how they handle this.

My Norwegian neighbour has Daikin units - by the time he had had them 3 years one of the units had a PCB failure twice - once was under warranty but they refused to cover saying it was due to a lizard.  Kinda difficult to disprove and the company hold all the aces. 

• Sad 2

carbpow
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, hk blues said:

My Norwegian neighbour has Daikin units - by the time he had had them 3 years one of the units had a PCB failure twice - once was under warranty but they refused to cover saying it was due to a lizard.  Kinda difficult to disprove and the company hold all the aces. 

I had a similar problem with a Panasonic unit and the same warranty run around. I filed a complaint with my local DTI office. Panasonic had to send a representative to meet at DTI and issue was resolved.

I hope I don't have to go thru that again to get Daikin to honor their warranty.

• Like 2

carbpow
Posted
Posted

Update. After I contacted Daikin headquarters for Ph. in Manila, explained the problem they informed me they will be shipping the PCB and also a replacement thermistor tomorrow, so hopefully will be up and running within a week. The thermistor replacement is not something the local tech requested but is a good idea as a faulty one can cause the control system to act goofy. Hopefully this works out as promised.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Must be an error in the topic title. Seems to be an airconditiong thread. :no: 

carbpow
Posted
Posted

Another update. Meralco said they will be sending an engineer 'soon' to inspect the wiring coming to our house. It seems this is one of the final steps in the approval of net metering for the solar PV system. I was told there may be some expense if the wiring needs to be modified. There is 8 gauge wire to the house so one would think wire would not be an issue but, you never know.So far 1 month into the application for net metering for solar PV system.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
jimeve
Posted
Posted

Got a new deep cycle battery, didn't know it was going to be this big. It's only 120 ah, thought it would be smaller. It's says on the side 'Super heaver duty' They say if you look after the battery it could last up to 8 years. Flooded deep cycle. Well we will see.

Compare it to the car battery on the floor!

IMG_20200626_123403584.jpg

IMG_20200626_123426316.jpg

IMG_20200626_123444158.jpg

• Like 1