Solar Power System Installed

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

My landlord for my rented apartment here added a few solar panels to his roof along with batteries inverter and switching hardware. I forget the price he told me, but I remember my reaction was that it seemed very reasonable. When I was outfitting my yacht with solar panels, they were very expensive - everything was. I equipped everything for ease of use, longevity, safety and also to save on engine wear and tear (110 amp alternator on it) and the inconvenience at having to buy diesel fuel. All that paid off ultimately and I enjoyed a lot of time listening to the sound (not) of the solar panels doing their thing. I also want to include solar water heating to the new house (when built). I have seen systems for this in Citi Hardware at reasonable prices too.

RBM
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

My landlord for my rented apartment here added a few solar panels to his roof along with batteries inverter and switching hardware. I forget the price he told me, but I remember my reaction was that it seemed very reasonable. When I was outfitting my yacht with solar panels, they were very expensive - everything was. I equipped everything for ease of use, longevity, safety and also to save on engine wear and tear (110 amp alternator on it) and the inconvenience at having to buy diesel fuel. All that paid off ultimately and I enjoyed a lot of time listening to the sound (not) of the solar panels doing their thing. I also want to include solar water heating to the new house (when built). I have seen systems for this in Citi Hardware at reasonable prices too.

I installed one solar water heating unit over 4 years ago, from citi hardware. It's been faultless until just recently when the 12 V pressure valve failed, now having  a problem to replace it. Citi Hardware have been most helpful how ever my unit has been discontinued.  Managed to find one on a Chinese Web site but buying is proving problematic.

Best of luck with your up coming project.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, RBM said:

I installed one solar water heating unit over 4 years ago, from citi hardware. It's been faultless until just recently when the 12 V pressure valve failed, now having  a problem to replace it. Citi Hardware have been most helpful how ever my unit has been discontinued.  Managed to find one on a Chinese Web site but buying is proving problematic.

Hi RBM. Thanks for the encouragement. Sorry you are having issues with repairs on your system. Not knowing anything about it, I will offer an idea for you... Have you tried checking marine suppliers in New Zealand, Australia or USA? 12 volt pressure valves are very common on yachts and boats. Maybe you can Google the manufacturer of the original component or Google a description? In NZ, Ray Roberts Marine used to be a great supplier. In USA, Fisheries Supply in Seattle carries an awesome selection of all kinds of common and odd components. They also have a comprehensive online catalog. Maybe that will help you - hope so.

• Thanks 1

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, RBM said:

Best of luck with your up coming project.

I have been looking at the solar collecters in Citi Hardware. They seem very reasonably priced. But your issue with the 12v valve, ie sourcing spare parts, seems a very real one here in Phils. That and trying to get any knowledgeable information on just about anything of a technical nature is a real challenge.

I recently went into a local solar power company to see about an off grid setup. When I asked them if the solar controller they supply was an MPPT controller (the most efficient type) or  PWM type, I was surprised no one in the office had a clue what I was talking about. (including their so-called chief engineer with his flashy self promoting business cards!) On examining the unit it was quite clearly the latter.

When I asked them about service back-up I wasn't at all convinced they would be able to supply parts in the future.

Needless to say they lost a potential customer.

Ken

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Unfortunately, I cannot use the Balikbayan box since I have no Filipino friends or family abroad.

Anyone can send the box, dont need to be Filipino. 

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Anyone can send the box, dont need to be Filipino. 

Can the boxes be reinforced using plywood ?

Gary D
Posted
Posted
40 minutes ago, bastonjock said:

You can put pretty much anything you like in the boxes so I sure a few sheets of plywood would not be a problem

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, bastonjock said:

This is exactly what I intend to do next time.  At times I feel the handlers deliberately try to destroy the contents.

RBM
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, Huggybearman said:

I have been looking at the solar collecters in Citi Hardware. They seem very reasonably priced. But your issue with the 12v valve, ie sourcing spare parts, seems a very real one here in Phils. That and trying to get any knowledgeable information on just about anything of a technical nature is a real challenge.

I recently went into a local solar power company to see about an off grid setup. When I asked them if the solar controller they supply was an MPPT controller (the most efficient type) or  PWM type, I was surprised no one in the office had a clue what I was talking about. (including their so-called chief engineer with his flashy self promoting business cards!) On examining the unit it was quite clearly the latter.

When I asked them about service back-up I wasn't at all convinced they would be able to supply parts in the future.

Needless to say they lost a potential customer.

Ken

This is an issue we all face time to time, not just solar but pretty much with anything purchased. Must say Citi hardware from my experience have been excellent providing one talks to management.

Generally with Mr Google one can source parts if the model is discontinued, there are some good Chinese web sites that specialize in finding hard to get parts. One does need a lot patience to wade through the minefield to and purchase. 

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
36 minutes ago, RBM said:

This is an issue we all face time to time, not just solar but pretty much with anything purchased. Must say Citi hardware from my experience have been excellent providing one talks to management.

I will try management next time I go there.

I went there to get a replacement light for L. My God!!! One of the staff took a sample out of its box to remove the bulb. Then he took it over to a counter and started trying to remove the bulb (so we could compare it to the original). Soon, there were five staff all standing around gabbling (talking quickly) and trying to figure out how to get to this bulb. each of them gave it a go and couldn't figure it out. Believe me, I am no genius, but within 30 seconds I understood how the unit was built and then proceeded to politely show them how to dismantle it. L was shocked too by how none of the staff could remove the light bulb.

I see the same thing happen in USA and Australia too - lots of staff in a store and nobody knows anything about what they sell. What irritates me here in the Citi Hardware is that there might be 5-10 staff standing around talking while customers walk around them looking for their goods... Eventually one will approach and ask if you need help, and when told yes, that staff member proceeds to either wander around looking (rather vacantly) for whatever you need or go ask another staff member...who may do the same thing too... And on and on, until you have half the store involved trying to find the widget you need... I find it is easier and more efficient, most of the time, to just go there, tell them I am just looking, and then find what I need by myself.