Scammed man contact media!

Kuya John
Posted
Posted
48 minutes ago, Viking said:

He was not going to sue her, he just wanted to warn other people for this person.

When he was asked by the Interviewer would he accept some sort of payment plan, he asked the question, if they needed the money to live on, how would they be able to pay it back?

If he does get the 60,000 peso's promised, it's time to run for the hills and forget about the rest.

An expensive lesson, but more importantly it could of well been a fatal mistake, which has happened before also.

• Like 3

Balisidar
Posted
Posted

Good for this guy for shaming this girl and hopefully getting some of his money back.  It still befuddles me though how people can get taken in by these scams.  I mean she was stringing him along for what?  5 years and from what I was hearing they hadn't even met in person?  I'm from another time I guess.  No way would I trust or fall in love with someone I had never met in person.  Even if I did meet them in person I'd still do my homework on them including a background check.   Do your due diligence and it's pretty hard to get taken like this.  It's not like this guy was senile or anything...he seemed relatively intelligent.

Blows my mind...:shock_40_anim_gif:

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

It seems pretty clear to me that this guy was thinking (if at all) with his small head, not his big one. One of the first things many dating sites state is to not give or send money to anyone a person might meet online. It's good advice.

I have a question too. I have heard rumours ever since I first arrived in the Philippines several years ago about certain services available for hire. I was told by more than one person that, here in Davao, someone could hire another for a contract for 5,000 or less even? Is this an urban myth or does anyone have true facts about this - just curious. I have no intent, just wondering... So far as I know, I also don't have anyone gunning for me...yet!

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Tommy T. said:

It seems pretty clear to me that this guy was thinking (if at all) with his small head, not his big one. One of the first things many dating sites state is to not give or send money to anyone a person might meet online. It's good advice.

I have a question too. I have heard rumours ever since I first arrived in the Philippines several years ago about certain services available for hire. I was told by more than one person that, here in Davao, someone could hire another for a contract for 5,000 or less even? Is this an urban myth or does anyone have true facts about this - just curious. I have no intent, just wondering... So far as I know, I also don't have anyone gunning for me...yet!

He who lives by the sword......

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Tommy T. said:

https://asiancorrespondent.com/2011/01/contract-killing-and-guns-for-hire-in-the-philippines/

https://cnnphilippines.com/news/2018/04/19/three-us-men-jail-murder-for-hire-filipina.html

https://www.rappler.com/nation/208635-duterte-warning-murder-for-hire-police-soldier-will-be-neutralized

• Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the links Mike. Although one is from USA and another is from 2011? I am not really concerned, but I wonder.

I know of a particular case of an American here in Davao who was in his car, stopped, waiting to turn left at an intersection. A guy on a motorcycle ran into him. The guy on the bike was an off-duty cop, no valid license, no helmet. He threatened the driver and demanded something like 200,000 payment, even though he was the one who caused his own problem. After a few weeks of threats, the American took his wife and kid and left the country. They came here on board their own yacht and just left it in the marina. This was two years ago - I don't know what happened after that...

• Like 1

PaulB
Posted
Posted

He won't see any of his money and surely he should have made some checks before sending anything. Boots on the ground!

In Sussex UK, an Ex-Police colleague of mine informed me that in that small county alone Singles looking for love had been conned out of UK Pounds 30m last year. 30 million!! So how big is the problem globally? Big enough to buy a plane ticket and a cheap hotel room and get your ass on the ground and find out face to face, get the gut feeling, grow the relationship and if they ask for money tell them to do one as they where surviving before you came along. Only part with the cash once you are either ready and have the trust required or you can afford to lose it without bitching.

Many a UK pensioner is left with nothing whilst his online date (Most probably a Male from Ghana or Nairobi) is driving in a Range Rover funded by the pensioner. Just saying.

If it sounds too good to be true it is too good to be true.

By the way my ex-wife in the Uk (13 years married) was a great housekeeper. She kept the house!

Paul

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
Viking
Posted
Posted

Part 2 of the story, for those who want to see what happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MSYq58LRME

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Viking said:

Part 2 of the story, for those who want to see what happened.

Well... it seems he finally learned his lesson - two times online was the charm? I am impressed with the TV people's work on this. Of course they sell more time for their media, but they also pushed it right through to the end. I wondered also how the husband "could not have known" about any of that... She is not working and suddenly she has money, an apartment, etc.? Lying through his teeth, just like her, but he presented a fantastic, "wounded deer" soulful face during his lies...

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

but he presented a fantastic, "wounded deer" soulful face during his lies...

:whatever: It happens, Such is Life. Denial is a strange animal at Times, I guess we have all had that tinge of Denial in our lives  at sometime  

• Like 2