Price comparison UK to Philippines

Gary D
Posted
Posted

I believe food on average in the UK is amongst the cheapest in Europe so when eating out the ingredients are not hugely different to the Philippines. What makes eating out in the UK compared to the Philippines much more expensive is the staff wages and the cost of the premises

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gary D said:

I believe food on average in the UK is amongst the cheapest in Europe so when eating out the ingredients are not hugely different to the Philippines. What makes eating out in the UK compared to the Philippines much more expensive is the staff wages and the cost of the premises

Yes food is cheaper here and that is thanks to Aldi ,Lidl, Iceland and farm foods , I never walk into the big supermarkets now.

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Gary D said:

I was only in England once back in the 70's. I enjoyed the incredible fish and chips - wrapped in the London Times - I will never forget that! And a beer in a pub... I always miss that fish and chips! I miss the beer too, but wish it had been cold, not sortof cool...

Edited by Tommy T.
Add more comment.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

I was only in England once back in the 70's. I enjoyed the incredible fish and chips - wrapped in the London Times - I will never forget that! And a beer in a pub... I always miss that fish and chips! I miss the beer too, but wish it had been cold, not sortof cool...

London Times?  The Times you mean?

• Thanks 1
  • Love it 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, hk blues said:

London Times?  The Times you mean?

Ah... thanks for the correction hk. Please just remember (since I forget) that this happened over 35 years ago. And what I really remember (I can taste it in my mind's stomach even now) is that it was a bit greasy, but very tasty and I was very hungry.

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)

The thing I remember most about British fish and chips (which is a thing in Australia also) is that almost every place seemed to offer little tubs of mushy green peas...

why?  Salt definitely, Gravy yes, lemon ok, tomato sauce or ketchup if you must... but mushy peas? :huh:

Edited by GeoffH

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
14 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

why?  Salt definitely, Gravy yes, lemon ok, tomato sauce or ketchup if you must... but mushy peas? :huh:

You got vegemite, we got Mushy peas :mocking:

• Haha 2

virginprune
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

The thing I remember most about British fish and chips (which is a thing in Australia also) is that almost every place seemed to offer little tubs of mushy green peas...

Mushy peas are traditional and delicious plus salt and malt vinegar. Gravy with fish and chips is just wrong. The gravy they sell is normally for pie and chips.

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, virginprune said:

Mushy peas are traditional and delicious plus salt and malt vinegar. Gravy with fish and chips is just wrong. The gravy they sell is normally for pie and chips.

I agree with your sentiments. I am okay with mushy peas and just love the vinegar on the fish and chips. Gravy does not fit on fish and chips for me. But it all needs to be washed down with beer, right?

• Love it 1

virginprune
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

I agree with your sentiments. I am okay with mushy peas and just love the vinegar on the fish and chips. Gravy does not fit on fish and chips for me. But it all needs to be washed down with beer, right?

If you eat them at the coast the at a sit down place the traditional brew would be a pot of tea. Also bread and butter to make chip butties.

Saying that, beer goes with most things :cheersty:

• Like 1