US President Donald Trum-p has become the first US president to set foot on North Korean soil

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted (edited)

trump.JPG

President responded: “This is my honour. I didn’t expect it. Stepping across that line was a great honour – a lot of progress has been made and this is a great friendship. It was short notice so I want to thank you,” he said, gesturing to Kim. “We’re going to go and talk for a while. A lot of positive things are happening … we met and we liked each other from day one. and that’s very important.”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/live/2019/jun/30/President-arrives-at-demilitarised-zone-to-meet-north-korean-leader-kim-jong-un-live

Edited by Old55
Corrected auto correct. Maybe?
  • Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

From the article "In the meantime there has been no nuclear tests, there has been no nuclear missiles"

Good point.  In the past, there was a lot of criticism about NK missile tests.  Since "The Donald" took an interest there have been no missiles.  This is good.

• Like 2

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted

Depending on how you look at things, the US may have fully accepted that NK is a now a nuclear power, just as they did back in the 60's when China went nuclear.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

the US may have fully accepted

Say what you will about the Donald, he is nothing if not a realist. 

• Like 2

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, scott h said:

Say what you will about the Donald, he is nothing if not a realist. 

And the reality (at least, as I see it) is that NK will never de-nuclearize.  So yes, you are right!

As the POTUS has said numerous times, he is in no rush to have NK de-nuclearize.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
40 minutes ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

NK de-nuclearize

Trying to put the Genie back in the bottle imho. In NK mindset it is a guarantee against outside invasion. Even though Kim was educated in Europe he doesn't understand that the west or SK has any intention of regime change through military action. Modern war expectations will not allow the type of casualties that it would result. Fighting NK through conventional means would actually be genocide, the allies would have to kill almost the entire population before they would submit. 

Trumps idea of building condos and beach resorts in NK and slowly bringing them into the world society (Nixon and china) will take time but would be relatively bloodless

• Like 1

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted
29 minutes ago, scott h said:

Trumps idea of building condos and beach resorts in NK and slowly bringing them into the world society (Nixon and china) will take time but would be relatively bloodless

2 hours ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

Depending on how you look at things, the US may have fully accepted that NK is a now a nuclear power, just as they did back in the 60's when China went nuclear.

I still think that we agree on this, and if the POTUS has his way, the only future problems with NK will be a potential trade war (instead of a nuclear or conventional war), just as we now have a possible 'trade war' issue with China (instead of an actual war).  Yes, it's a much better option for the entire world!

graham59
Posted
Posted

Nice to see the 'Comedy Haircut Convention' getting some publicity.  :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Gary D
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

From the article "In the meantime there has been no nuclear tests, there has been no nuclear missiles"

Good point.  In the past, there was a lot of criticism about NK missile tests.  Since "The Donald" took an interest there have been no missiles.  This is good.

So the missile test as late as early May don't count.:89:

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gary D said:

So the missile test as late as early May don't count.:89:

I see your point.  I did not hear any fuss in the news so I figured they had stopped.  Looking into it, they seem to have been testing Russian made missiles in May, which puts things in a whole new light.