Three-Year-Old Girl Latest Philippines ‘Drug War’ Victim

i am bob
Posted
Posted

The problem with their report..?  They don't stress that the undercover cop was shot and killed first...  Nor do they say who shot the child, just infer it was the police without knowing the facts...  I stopped reading anything from the UNHRC...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

The important point in news surely is the accuracy - the messenger is of little importance.  

My personal experience has been that the media is not so concerned about accuracy but rather presence and notice.  I have witnessed so many times when the "news" has not reported facts, but rather conjecture and inuendo... not always, but sometimes...

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
57 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

My personal experience has been that the media is not so concerned about accuracy but rather presence and notice.  I have witnessed so many times when the "news" has not reported facts, but rather conjecture and inuendo... not always, but sometimes...

I don't disagree but that happens with both the so-called reputable and less reputable ones so who to believe...

• Like 2

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Kuya John said:

Forgive me to question that statement JD,

Opening Post was a tragic event, which by all accounts happened on Sunday and posted here Tuesday.

Replies may of taken a Political turn, for which, I will on my part apologise, but facts are facts.

Just like the reporting of the Former First Lady's 90th Birthday bash, that so many people got sick.

Human Rights Watch is not a news-gathering entity. One tip off is the use of "quotes" around words and phrases. There is the drug war and then the "drug war", you see. In addition, the article is full of opinion and is, at the end, an advertisement for support of an Icelandic UN resolution.

I happen to trust their opinions on most things having to do with human rights and they are probably right with this story but they are no more hard news than is National Review.

• Thanks 1

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted

Just some thoughts:  DU30 promised to end the drug epidemic within the first 6 months of his presidency... he even said that he would step down if he failed to do so after the first 6 months.

So far, there is still a drug epidemic, but more than that since it has taken the lives of so many Filipinos, and DU30 has not stepped down yet (as he said he would).

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted

Philippine senator shrugs off police killing of three-year-old girl in drug raid

Ronald dela Rosa said that "collateral damage" was inevitable in police operations after Sunday's killing of a child in Manila.

By Lucia Binding, news reporter

Thursday 4 July 2019 17:30, UK

A former police general who oversaw the bloodiest years of the Philippines' war on drugs has defended the killing of child during a police raid as "s*** happens".

Senator Ronald dela Rosa, who once led the crackdown that has killed thousands of mostly urban poor drug users and peddlers, said that "collateral damage" was inevitable in police operations.

It comes after Sunday's killing of a three-year-old girl named Myka Ulpina in a residential area in the town of Rodriguez, Rizal, east of Manila.

Police said the girl was used as a human shield by her father, a suspected drug dealer who opened fire on them when they tried to arrest him.

Both were gunned down along with another civilian and a police officer.

"We are living in an imperfect world," Senator dela Rosa told a news conference.

"Would a police officer want to shoot a child? Never, because they have children as well. But s*** happens during operations."

https://news.sky.com/story/philippine-senator-shrugs-off-police-killing-of-three-year-old-girl-in-drug-raid-11756782

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

Philippine senator shrugs off police killing of three-year-old girl in drug raid

Ronald dela Rosa said that "collateral damage" was inevitable in police operations after Sunday's killing of a child in Manila.

By Lucia Binding, news reporter

Thursday 4 July 2019 17:30, UK

A former police general who oversaw the bloodiest years of the Philippines' war on drugs has defended the killing of child during a police raid as "s*** happens".

Senator Ronald dela Rosa, who once led the crackdown that has killed thousands of mostly urban poor drug users and peddlers, said that "collateral damage" was inevitable in police operations.

It comes after Sunday's killing of a three-year-old girl named Myka Ulpina in a residential area in the town of Rodriguez, Rizal, east of Manila.

Police said the girl was used as a human shield by her father, a suspected drug dealer who opened fire on them when they tried to arrest him.

Both were gunned down along with another civilian and a police officer.

"We are living in an imperfect world," Senator dela Rosa told a news conference.

"Would a police officer want to shoot a child? Never, because they have children as well. But s*** happens during operations."

https://news.sky.com/story/philippine-senator-shrugs-off-police-killing-of-three-year-old-girl-in-drug-raid-11756782

Obvious bias in the article.  Rosa did not "defend the killing of a child", nor did he "shrug it off".

• Like 3

RBM
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

Just some thoughts:  DU30 promised to end the drug epidemic within the first 6 months of his presidency... he even said that he would step down if he failed to do so after the first 6 months.

So far, there is still a drug epidemic, but more than that since it has taken the lives of so many Filipinos, and DU30 has not stepped down yet (as he said he would).

one of the saddest parts of this gruesome tragic war on drugs is to me the lack of big names being arrested. There have been very few, I recall a Peter Lim from Cebu was named but believe he still roaming free. So many deaths, the most which appear to be users and impoverished people. 

If the financiers plus organisers could only be held accountable perhaps we will make progress. Wonder if ever this narco list of Duterte was followed up on.

• Like 2

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, RBM said:

f the financiers plus organisers could only be held accountable perhaps we will make progress. Wonder if ever this narco list of Duterte was followed up on.

Those people seem to be completely untouchable for some reason.  :89:

• Like 1