Philippine bank question PDIC

dj3642
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

I use Charles Schwab. It actually comes out of an investment account (still cash) rather than the attached bank account. The only stipulation is that it must be US $ transferring as US$ - so it goes into my US$ account at my bank here. I was surprised how easy it really is to do...

ok so it doesnt come out from the bank.. my money here is in USD as well. i didnt know charles schwab had banks.. 

• Like 1

dj3642
Posted
Posted
On 7/3/2019 at 4:29 PM, Arizona Kid said:

I keep mine in my mattress. :smile:  Kidding aside I keep mine in a US credit union.

may i ask what credit union?? i am trying to find some bank that is national in the US and will allow me to do transfers while i am living here. my credit union specifically states i need to be there in person to move money.. which sucks

• Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, dj3642 said:

ok so it doesnt come out from the bank.. my money here is in USD as well. i didnt know charles schwab had banks.. 

It's bank...singular. Investment accounts are linked with bank accounts all accessible with one log-in. It seems to be just one institution working with different parts quite well together. They have great online chat and phone support too in case you need your hand held to do things, like I sometimes do... They also reimburse all ATM fees and don't charge foreign currency change fee...

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 2
  • Love it 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, dj3642 said:

... ok then how do you get your money from the US when you need to have it moved here??  when i originally sent money over here.. i had to be there in person.. 

I use my ATM card.  BPI machines allow for p20,000 per transaction.  My bank (USAA) refunds ATM fees. Also, the machines give a better exchange rate than I see out in town.  On the first of this month I got 50.73 and the posted rate online was 51.24  None of the money changers in town were giving higher than the ATM.

• Like 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

I use my ATM card.  BPI machines allow for p20,000 per transaction.

Hi Tim. Yeah, I do the same. I learned from somebody, when I first arrived in the Philippines, that I can also do three - or more - transactions in a row so I sometimes do that to load up and reduce the number of visits to the ATMs. My card works on many Bank ATMs here including BDO, BPI, PNB and several others too. However, my bank will cut me off if I do more than five transaction in less than one week - anti-fraud protection. It takes a phone call from me here (I use a Skype direct USA number that is always active) and it is easily reversed. I always need to register a "travel" notice if I leave the country - of course, same thing with the credit cards...

• Like 1

roddavis
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, dj3642 said:

may i ask what credit union?? i am trying to find some bank that is national in the US and will allow me to do transfers while i am living here. my credit union specifically states i need to be there in person to move money.. which sucks

I agree that most transfers require your presents to initiate the transfer. The best I found is just do transferwise to move the funds to the PI. I have mine sent to RCBC and it usually deposits in 7 hours for @ $6.50 fee. Otherwise I use the ATM most of the time.

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, roddavis said:

I agree that most transfers require your presents to initiate the transfer. The best I found is just do transferwise to move the funds to the PI. I have mine sent to RCBC and it usually deposits in 7 hours for @ $6.50 fee. Otherwise I use the ATM most of the time.

This is not the case with UK banks - transfers can be done through both tele and internet banking. Most require the receiving account to be pre-registered but that can be done by mail. I do 1 transfer a year and money is in the account (minus numerous charges that nobody can ever explain!) in a couple of days.

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, dj3642 said:

NFCU. It's for active duty and retired military members and their family's. I've never done a wire transfer before so can't give advice on that. I do remember that there is a BPI branch in National City Ca. I wish I would have opened an account there before I made the move. :unsure:

• Like 1

dj3642
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, roddavis said:

never heard of transferwise?? what is that???

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, dj3642 said:

never heard of transferwise?? what is that???

"A cheaper, faster way to send money abroad"

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic